Tis the season, once again...got up into the 70s, yesterday!

3 sales, struck on 2, but the Rummage Sale had a few items..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=17827]

So, what is so interesting in this $2.25 pair of tools?   Screwdriver seems to be an older Stanley, with a square shank in a fluted wood handle..
Cool 
[attachment=17828]
[attachment=17829]
The $2 Hammer is a Brass ball peen...with a lot of lettering stamped in the head...
Cool  
[attachment=17830]
seems a local railroad in the area was known as the C.C.C. & St. L. R.R. ( The Big 4, before New York Central took over..)

Been well used ( or abused
Confused  ).
[attachment=17831]
That be a hole into the ball end...hammer needs a wedge yet, and the clean up/rehab will be done..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Nice tools. Is that a deep dent or a hole in the hammer?
That be a hole in the ball end....
No

(04-12-2019, 03:18 PM)bandit571 Wrote: That be a hole in the ball end....
No

You have to wonder why.
Confused  Could it be brazed and filed back to shape?

Phil

(04-14-2019, 12:34 PM)Phil S. Wrote: You have to wonder why.
Confused  Could it be brazed and filed back to shape?

Phil

Could it be some sort of custom hammer that should have a hole in it?
That hole just doesn't look like it got there accidentally.

Otherwise I would use hard welding rod in a stick welder to fill it in with the hammer face (other end of the head) submerged in water. Braze is way too soft.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
The hold in the hammer could have been a defect in the casting (if the head were cast brass). I like old vintage hammers. So many custom sizes and uses. and if they were well-taken care of, the patina on the handles just can't be matched.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(04-14-2019, 05:07 PM)AHill Wrote: The hold in the hammer could have been a defect in the casting (if the head were cast brass).  I like old vintage hammers.  So many custom sizes and uses. and if they were well-taken care of, the patina on the handles just can't be matched.
I like hammers and have a couple dozen or so...I guess I am a collector, particularly of small hammers, and I also love the patina that only age can create..I am also a hammer "maker"....I made the jeweler's hammer on the right about 40yrs ago..I used a 3/4" grade eight bolt and an old Atlas metal lathe..I agree with Alan that the "hole" could just be a flaw in the casting. But I'm not sure why anyone would "need" a brass Ball Pein, since the softer brass would be quickly "deformed" in use..unless the "brass" is actually Beryllium copper.  
Confused

EDIT...I particularly like the hammer on the left because it is engraved "From George to Eliza, Class of 1903".....

[Image: IMG-0448.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Unless one of the valves gets a bit sticky...
Rolleyes
 [attachment=17872]
And a steel "Engineer's hammer would do more harm than good....

(04-15-2019, 10:02 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Unless one of the valves gets a bit sticky...
Rolleyes

And a steel "Engineer's hammer would do more harm than good....
Brass hammer yes, but for that you don't need a ball pein..I have brass hammers but none shaped like a rounded ball pein...I don't recall ever seeing one, so it seems to be pretty rare to me...Looks like you have a collectors item
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-14-2019, 03:23 PM)TGW Wrote: Could it be some sort of custom hammer that should have a hole in it?
That hole just doesn't look like it got there accidentally.

Otherwise I would use hard welding rod in a stick welder to fill it in with the hammer face (other end of the head) submerged in water. Braze is way too soft.

Welding a brass hammer head would be near impossible with a stick welder.

(04-15-2019, 10:40 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Brass hammer yes, but for that you don't need a ball pein..I have brass hammers but none shaped like a rounded ball pein...I don't recall ever seeing one, so it seems to be pretty rare to me...Looks like you have a collectors item
Big Grin

I'm thinking brass might be used for other reasons also. To not create sparks around gas/fuel
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Rummage Sale Finds.