Daughter and SIL just purchased a house in the Bay area (Calif). ~6,000 sf property. Looking for a recommendation for a mower for a housewarming gift. Was considering battery, but my experience with 3/4 acre has only been gas, 21" Honda then bumped up to 48" walk behind...
Suggestions welcomed ...
Thanks in advance

One-eighth of an acre, minus the area of the house, driveway, and landscaping?  I'd do battery electric.  They've come a long way in the last few years, and my next house, if not a condo in Florida (
Big Grin ), will be small, with small grass, and a small electric mower.  
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(04-25-2019, 09:10 AM)TDKPE Wrote: One-eighth of an acre, minus the area of the house, driveway, and landscaping?  I'd do battery electric.  They've come a long way in the last few years, and my next house, if not a condo in Florida (
Big Grin ), will be small, with small grass, and a small electric mower.  
Yes

Agreed, but is there a recommendation as to make/model? 
That automower linked above is out of the price range, but oh-so-perfect for those living in Silicon Valley...
Only automower in this area is sheep <grin>

(04-25-2019, 09:40 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Agreed, but is there a recommendation as to make/model?

I'm sorry, I don't have one, since I don't own one.  But there was a discussion here maybe last year (?) about exactly that.  Several makes/models got good reviews from members who owned them.

I have a 40V cordless string trimmer, and it's been great.  I'm sold on cordless for jobs they're suited to.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(04-25-2019, 10:32 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I'm sorry, I don't have one, since I don't own one.  But there was a discussion here maybe last year (?) about exactly that.  Several makes/models got good reviews from members who owned them.

I have a 40V cordless string trimmer, and it's been great.  I'm sold on cordless for jobs they're suited to.

Thanks...I did a cursory search and didn't see anything current.
Will check again...
(04-25-2019, 09:00 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Daughter and SIL just purchased a house in the Bay area (Calif). ~6,000 sf property. Looking for a recommendation for a mower for a housewarming gift. Was considering battery, but my experience with 3/4 acre has only been gas, 21" Honda then bumped up to 48" walk behind...
Suggestions welcomed ...
Thanks in advance

I wish someone would give me one of these:   Never Mow Again.

John
I had the Honda rear drive.  My lawn was very hilly and the front drive is not very good for that.  

Very good mower for about 15 years.  Then the transmission started to go.  I was ready to hire a gardener at that point so I never replaced it.  The only maintenence it required was oil changes (very easy)., air filter changes (very easy and essential) and I wore out the rear tires which had to be replaced (not as easy).  

I also had to sharpen the blades on occasion and you need a balancing device for that (very cheap).  

It mulched very well and the catcher bag was never used.  

Overall, an excellent mower.  

But remember to change the air filter, the engine runs very poorly or becomes very hard to start with a dirty air filter.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
With a yard that size, they could virtually eliminate the need to mow if they got creative with their landscaping.  Might be able to get away with a string trimmer only.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-25-2019, 09:00 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Daughter and SIL just purchased a house in the Bay area (Calif). ~6,000 sf property. Looking for a recommendation for a mower for a housewarming gift. Was considering battery, but my experience with 3/4 acre has only been gas, 21" Honda then bumped up to 48" walk behind...
Suggestions welcomed ...
Thanks in advance

I bought a Toro 9 years ago when we bought our home on a 1/4 acre lot.  We have since moved to a home with a little bigger lot (1/3 acre).  It was $75 at Lowes...open box...still going strong.  I have changed the blade; that is it.  I check the oil before I start it...sometimes I add a little oil.  

Matt
I bought the Ryobi 40 volt "Gas Like" mower, trimmer and blower. A 5 amp hour battery comes with the mower and gives me a little more than an hours mowing in mulching mode. The blower/ trimmer combo came with a 3 amp hour battery and I can trim and clean up easily with it and it also is used as a backup battery if needed for the mower. I would buy them again if I had to.
Mower for small yard