I would like to use some sort of filler on a couple pieces of exterior trim where there has been some rot. It is purely aesthetic and not structural. I would like to fill it in with some kind of filler to make the ends look square again instead of slightly rotten. It would be rather inconvenient to replace the trim pieces based on the way they are installed.

What would be the best filler for this? I was thinking Bondo at first, but was wondering if there was a particular exterior wood filler that would be a specific for this application.
You are entitled to your own opinions. Just not your own facts.

(04-26-2019, 10:29 AM)law_kid Wrote: I would like to use some sort of filler on a couple pieces of exterior trim where there has been some rot. It is purely aesthetic and not structural. I would like to fill it in with some kind of filler to make the ends look square again instead of slightly rotten. It would be rather inconvenient to replace the trim pieces based on the way they are installed.

What would be the best filler for this? I was thinking Bondo at first, but was wondering if there was a particular exterior wood filler that would be a specific for this application.

I've had good luck with Elmer's 2 part wood filler.

(04-26-2019, 10:57 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: I've had good luck with Elmer's 2 part wood filler.

+1 on this.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
Durham’s Rock Hard or Bondo
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-26-2019, 10:29 AM)law_kid Wrote: I would like to use some sort of filler on a couple pieces of exterior trim where there has been some rot. It is purely aesthetic and not structural. I would like to fill it in with some kind of filler to make the ends look square again instead of slightly rotten. It would be rather inconvenient to replace the trim pieces based on the way they are installed.

At least I know Bondo can be used under a finish exposed to weather.  I would check the labels of any wood filler to ensure they are able to be used on exposed exterior wood, even under paint, its still "exposed", otherwise, I'd go with either Bondo or a custom (i.e. you mix it yourself) mix of marine grade epoxy mixed with a thickening agent that can be used to thicken it to a filler consistency.  The problem with the filled epoxy route is that it is much harder to sand to level out and blend in, but at least it would adhere well to the wood, not sure how well Bondo adheres (I have seen recommendations for using Bondo to fill wood, so I guess it adheres pretty well), I personally have only used it on metal and fiberglass.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
There is, though I've used Bondo with great success for such things. But once I found this JB Weld product I now use it. Regradless of which you choose, here's a small tip. Run a couple of small brads or finishing nails (if possible into the cavity and leave them stick out as far as possible... put the putty over them, they give a little more grip to the putty.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My understanding is that regular Bondo will absorb moisture. However, I also understand that Bondo has a product that is water proof. The latter is what I would use. I have no experience with this, but maybe it will provide some info.
I use Bondo after a couple coats of wood hardener. Wait a little longer than you would to use the cheese grater and you can use your block plane to bring it flush. You can also use "forms" to extent straight edges and create a new "end". Just coat what you don't want the Bondo to stick to with some wax or oil. Durham's Rock hard water putty works but it is indeed rock hard when it sets, which happens quite rapidly.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Caution using Rock Hard outdoors......................
From Rock Hard tech info:
Durham's can be used outdoors and will withstand outdoor weather, but it must be kept painted. Water putty is not waterproof and will absorb any moisture it is exposed to and the paint will peel. So if you see peeling, you must find the source of the moisture and stop it from gettting into the putty. Durham's also must not be used in structural, or weight-bearing, applications.
I never used Durham’s or similar because I always thought it would pop out with seasonal change. I always tried to replace the piece entirely if big enough, plug and/or splice with wood, or use caulk. The caulk will expand and contract some and it repels water.

Wood filler on exterior trim?