It is 12 mm and when I ordered it wondered if I should have gotten the 15 or 16 mm first. I like what I have done with it so far even on acrylic. I have a diamond hone sharpener will this work to touch up the edge of the carbide. I ordered new cutters but have not received them yet.

I still am old school and prefer the traditional chisels. Grandkids like the new carbide when they are on the lathe.

Depends on the cutter. I have a number of cupped carbide. These must be sharpened on the edge. I have been thinking about making a holder so i can sharpen on a CBN wheel. The flat top carbide I sharpen on a diamond stone. Just flip upside down and move around with your finger. Plenty of youtube available on the flat top and a few for the cupped. I still like my HSS cutters better. They make a smoother cut than carbide, in my opinion. I use the carbide on large corian segmented bowls and vases as well as removing bark or anywhere there might be dirt embedded in cracks. Saves me sharpening time and leaves more time for turning. In my opinion they definitly have there place for use on the lathe depending on what you are doing. Same as any other turning cutter.

(04-30-2019, 12:44 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Depends on the cutter. I have a number of cupped carbide. These must be sharpened on the edge. I have been thinking about making a holder so i can sharpen on a CBN wheel. The flat top carbide I sharpen on a diamond stone. Just flip upside down and move around with your finger. Plenty of youtube available on the flat top and a few for the cupped. I still like my HSS cutters better. They make a smoother cut than carbide, in my opinion. I use the carbide on large corian segmented bowls and vases as well as removing bark or anywhere there might be dirt embedded in cracks. Saves me sharpening time and leaves more time for turning. In my opinion they definitly have there place for use on the lathe depending on what you are doing. Same as any other turning cutter.
Make a disc out of MDF that will mount on your headstock and fasten a diamond disc to it and it will make sharpening carbide a breeze..It may be possible to permanently mount the disc on the outboard side of your headstock, or even on an old washing machine or fan motor...With the right arbor, you could mount one on a variable speed drill motor...They are available in lots of grit sizes..I have several that I use on my WorkSharp for knives and plane irons. Diamond rules!!!!!!
Big Grin

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-6-inch-Dia...168&sr=8-5
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I've fallen in love with my radiused carbide blades for turning acrylic.
Semper fi,
Brad

Recieved my first carbide cutter.