I have a one gallon container of mixed gas for my 2 cycle Stihl chain saw.It never got used this winter or the spring and I don't foresee using it any time soon.It does have Stabil in it but I would rather use fresh gas when I go to use the saw.There is no gas in the saw now,Also my snowblower is full of non mixed gas,it didn't get used this winter,my neighbor kept me plowed out,so I want to get rid of that gas as well,it also has Stabil in it.I am going to drain the snowblower and run it dry.So,what is the best way of disposing if this gas?And safest as well?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member

(05-07-2019, 05:42 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: I have a one gallon container of mixed gas for my 2 cycle Stihl chain saw.It never got used this winter or the spring and I don't foresee using it any time soon.It does have Stabil in it but I would rather use fresh gas when I go to use the saw.There is no gas in the saw now,Also my snowblower is full of non mixed gas,it didn't get used this winter,my neighbor kept me plowed out,so I want to get rid of that gas as well,it also has Stabil in it.I am going to drain the snowblower and run it dry.So,what is the best way of disposing if this gas?And safest as well?
Not sure about the gas mixed with oil, but for the snow blower, just add it to your car a little at a time, and use it.  The stabil has kept it from going bad, and diluted with the gas in your car tank, it should run fine in the car.
(05-07-2019, 05:50 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Not sure about the gas mixed with oil, but for the snow blower, just add it to your car a little at a time, and use it.  The stabil has kept it from going bad, and diluted with the gas in your car tank, it should run fine in the car.

What he said. I always run leftover snow blower gas thru my Explorer in the spring. Mixing a quart or two of old gas with Stabil into 15 or so gallons in the tank has never been an issue. Over 100k miles and never touched the engine.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

(05-07-2019, 06:38 AM)shoottmx Wrote: What he said. I always run leftover snow blower gas thru my Explorer in the spring. Mixing a quart or two of old gas with Stabil into 15 or so gallons in the tank has never been an issue. Over 100k miles and never touched the engine.

g

Thank guys,appreciate it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member

(05-07-2019, 07:10 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Thank guys,appreciate it.

Mel

I wouldn't put 2 -cycle gas in a vehicle with a catalytic converter, which means nearly everything on the highway these days.  I don't know if there are any compounds in 2-cycle oil that will kill a catalytic converter, but it doesn't take much of ones that do.  It's just not a risk worth taking, IMHO.  I use old 2-cycle gas in my lawn mowers, chipper/shredder, etc., mixed with fresh gas, a little at a time until it's gone.  

John
I might as well pile on.  I store two 6-gallon marine fuel tanks plus two 5-gallon metal safety cans plus the 5 gallons in the generator all winter.  Ethanol-free with Stabil.  I just use the marine tanks in the outboard in the spring, and the 5-gallon cans in the tractor mower.  Once a year, or even less frequently, I siphon out the generator and replace that fuel with fresh ethanol-free (with Stabil). 

I've never had a problem with any of them starting and running smoothly.  I do, however, put the generator gas in one of our cars, a gallon or two at a time, since it's pretty old.  But it always starts on the first pull, and runs strong even on two year old gas, so I don't worry about it really.

Oh, almost forgot - I fill those tanks for winter storage in late November or later, so it's actually not that old in the spring. The boat usually doesn't get used until June, so seven months old or so is about it, but of course, it takes another month or even two until I've used up that old fuel.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(05-07-2019, 08:33 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I do, however, put the generator gas in one of our cars, a gallon or two at a time, since it's pretty old.  But it always starts on the first pull, and runs strong even on two year old gas, so I don't worry about it really.

What kind of pull start car do you have???? ;-)
I dump it all in whatever's handy at the moment. Tractor, mower, truck........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Good for killing poison ivy, if you live out on the sticks.
In our area they mix in ethanol in the winter.  The alcohol absorbs water and the gas goes bad in just a month.  So I buy small quantities and pour the month old stuff in my car.

In the summer they don't add the alcohol so that stuff lasts longer.  Buy the gas late summer and it will keep longer.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
old gas