When turned on the motor just hums. My knee-jerk diagnosis is... starter capacitor.

Anyway for me to verify before just replacing?

Thanks.

Give the capacitor a smell test.....

Does it have a rear cover with a fan in it? If so, the centrifugal switch between the fan and motor plate could be stuck due to dust buildup.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-07-2019, 11:51 AM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: When turned on the motor just hums. My knee-jerk diagnosis is... starter capacitor.

Anyway for me to verify before just replacing?

Thanks.

Take the belt off, give the motor a spin, then hit the power switch.  It should snap to speed, more or less.  Shut it down and listen for the centrifugal switch to close.  If you don't hear it, that may mean it's stuck open, though some switches are rather quiet so even if it's working properly you may or may not hear it.  Some are really loud and sound like sand scraping away once it closes. 

Open the capacitor cover and see if it's leaking, swollen, or discolored.  Probably the quickest test.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Hi,

I have an Agazzani, too. You're probably right, sounds like what happened to me. But you might call Eagle Tools in California and ask for Jesse. He'll probably know exactly what's wrong and how it should be fixed.
Making an assumption this saw is yours, its worked before for you, and it is correctly wired.

Take off the cap, discharge it, test it with a multimeter.

Google discharging a motor capacitor
Google testing a capacitor with a multimeter.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

'Spin and power-up' test worked, new capacitor installed, bandsaw back in operation.

Thanks all.

(05-10-2019, 12:27 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: 'Spin and power-up' test worked, new capacitor installed, bandsaw back in operation.

Thanks all.

So it was the capacitor?  Easy peasy.
Glad to hear it’s back at work, and that the fix was simple and cheap.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Agazzani bandsaw motor.