This has been asked before (no doubt), and I can't find anything. I need, or would like to have, some brad point bits that are longer than the Lee Valley set I use now...but would like to have them be just as well made. Any ideas?

PS: somehow I acquired a set from HF...and they wouldn't even drill one hole.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

What diameter do you need? Rockler has some, Fisch brand, start at 1/4". Fuller has some as well, depends on the length you need.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry

(05-12-2019, 07:43 AM)museumguy Wrote: What diameter do you need? Rockler has some, Fisch brand, start at 1/4". Fuller has some as well, depends on the length you need.

I did check the Fuller bits out, they are not quite a long as I wanted....but they are longer than the ones I have. I may just get a few of them, they don't package them in sets and they are pricey. But so is everything worthwhile anymore.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Drilling-...Q03R0QHPX9

The customer reviews were not bad.

Simon
(05-12-2019, 06:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: This has been asked before (no doubt), and I can't find anything. I need, or would like to have, some brad point bits that are longer than the Lee Valley set I use now...but would like to have them be just as well made. Any ideas?

PS: somehow I acquired a set from HF...and they wouldn't even drill one hole.

Morning Fred. Hope all is well in NC Ohio and maybe drier and warmer than WC Indiana.

I can't speak from personal use experience but Woodworker Supply-Woodtek offers extra long lengths.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Thanks, Dave. Nope, no warmer here and we might be even a little wetter. Those Woodtek bits (the set) are what i want, but they are labeled "imported", makes me wonder about the quality.

Museum guy, I'd like a set of 8, going from 1/" (or maybe 1/4") up to 1/2" or so.
My last set came from Lawson Products. No idea who made them, but excellent bits.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think the first question to ask is ....What diameter? if the diameter is 1/2 or larger then you can save a lot of money by user a drill bit extender like this one at Amazon. If smaller then 1/2 then forget I commented.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Fred,
Fuller has brad points in 8" (Series 253), 10" (Series 254), 12" (Series 255), and 18" (Series 254) but I don't know where to get them. Maybe calling Fuller may help.
I bought two "Wood owl" brand auger bits from Amazon.com and they have proved to be very durable.  The Wood Owl brand also sells brad point bits but the listing calls them "auger" bits.  

They are made in Taiwan (not China) and are very good.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wood+owl+dril..._sb_noss_1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Long high-quality brad point bits