Slowly getting back into playing with the lathe. Mostly it has been upgrading tooling, etc. while re-learning techniques.

Decided this month was "upgrade the grinder" month and so looked around for deals on 8" CBN wheels. The Woodturning Store had a decent price on a pair of 80/180 8" wheels with free shipping. Competitive pricing with most other suppliers so I pulled the trigger.  These are the 1.5" wide ones.  Picked up a 5/8" bowl gouge and 1" skew too. 

I have to say, they turned what was a "cheap" 8" grinder into a smooth running machine.  I'd fussed around and balanced the Norton wheels reasonably well but never replaced the bushings so there was always the howl as it spun up. 

Also popped for a Wolvarine jig and while I was learning how to do a 40/40 grind by hand and by eye (and it was sort of working OK for me) I must say the Wolvarine jig does a great job. Priced those around and found the jig + varigrind kit for under $130 on Amazon.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

(05-14-2019, 09:26 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Slowly getting back into playing with the lathe. Mostly it has been upgrading tooling, etc. while re-learning techniques.

Decided this month was "upgrade the grinder" month and so looked around for deals on 8" CBN wheels. The Woodturning Store had a decent price on a pair of 80/180 8" wheels with free shipping. Competitive pricing with most other suppliers so I pulled the trigger.  These are the 1.5" wide ones.  Picked up a 5/8" bowl gouge and 1" skew too. 

I have to say, they turned what was a "cheap" 8" grinder into a smooth running machine.  I'd fussed around and balanced the Norton wheels reasonably well but never replaced the bushings so there was always the howl as it spun up. 

Also popped for a Wolvarine jig and while I was learning how to do a 40/40 grind by hand and by eye (and it was sort of working OK for me) I must say the Wolvarine jig does a great job. Priced those around and found the jig + varigrind kit for under $130 on Amazon.

Great!!!  Now we need to see what you are working on buddy.

The biggest reason I got the wolverine jig was not only to make consistent grinds but a set it and forget it in grinding as well.  So any of the vets can sharpen all the tools the exact same way time after time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(05-14-2019, 03:15 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Great!!!  Now we need to see what you are working on buddy.

A mess mostly. 

And some practice bowls and spindle stuff.  Bowls I'll keep one or two, spindle practice goes in the kindling box when done.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

(05-15-2019, 08:31 AM)Rob Young Wrote: ..... spindle practice goes in the kindling box when done.

I keep my shop pretty warm with that kind of "practice"....
Crazy

Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Ya'll were right about CBN wheels!