I just put a shelix cutterhead into a DW735.  I'm getting definite track marks in defined location.  Could this be an insert turned not quite right?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

(05-17-2019, 04:43 PM)jgourlay Wrote: I just put a shelix cutterhead into a DW735.  I'm getting definite track marks in defined location.  Could this be an insert turned not quite right?

I've had a shelix in a dewalt, and there were no lines.

I've had a byrd head in a powermatic 209hh and there were no lines.

I have a delta dj 20 with a shelix, no lines.

I currently have a grizzly 20" helical planer, and there are lines, running the length of the board.. 

What I'm saying is, there is an issue.  from my experience, they aren't supposed to be there on these heads... I haven't trouble shot the grizzly yet, been too busy.
Actually, I never upgraded, just have plain knives on a Delta 15" big iron, but I smooth all my surfaces with a hand plane or a scraper. Sharpen my knives once every 5 years or so. Tracks don't bother me much. Not for everyone, but just sayin' ........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(05-17-2019, 07:04 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, I never upgraded, just have plain knives on a Delta 15" big iron, but I smooth all my surfaces with a hand plane or a scraper.  Sharpen my knives once every 5 years or so.  Tracks don't bother me much.  Not for everyone, but just sayin' ........

10-4. I get a chip in the knives, I get a track. But it's raised and a ROS takes it right off.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Could be an insert not seated correctly--possibly a burr on the insert or head or a piece of grit between the insert and head. Remove each insert in the area with the issue, polish the back of it (I use 600 grit paper on a surface plate--glass is good too). Insure the seat is clean and smooth. To reinstall start the screw pulling the insert away from the seat, the screw will pull the insert into the correct location against the stop.

Here's detailed info fvrom Byrd: PDF

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I get tracks with my 15" Delta/shelix, but they are so light it takes (literally) 1 or 2 passes with the ROS to remove them...so I don't fret to much about it. But one thing you might want to do is remove the inserts, clean the setas, and then re-install the inserts with the correct torque (45 inch pounds, I think). I did this on both my planer (reduced the problem hugely to what i have now) and my jointer (less success on it). It's my understanding the newer Shelix have some design change to minimize this, which was a common problem some years ago.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Same thing happened to me.  One insert shattered and apparently chipped the next insert on my initial start.  Replaced the first one and rotated the second...no problem since.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(05-17-2019, 04:43 PM)jgourlay Wrote: I just put a shelix cutterhead into a DW735.  I'm getting definite track marks in defined location.  Could this be an insert turned not quite right?

Same happened here.  Removed all cutters, turned out some of the seats were not cleaned well from manufacturing.
Cleaned them all, and used torque wrench to place them back in - no more lines.
Winkgrin
This happened to me twice since I've had it. I don't see any burrs or chips on the inserts, but I rotate and reinstall them and it goes away.

I have both of those heads on my jointer and planner the VA bought me and I only get the lines when I taken to much off as once but that was all.

Hope someone else knows the problem.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Track marks with shelix in DW735