Question 
Just a heads up...( have errands to run, more later, when I get back) and a teaser 
Uhoh  
[attachment=18464]
That when you remove the split nuts on a saw...you may find a Patent date on the non-show side....

had to build a screwdriver to remove the nuts...
[attachment=18465]
More later...

Patent date?   PAT DEC 31  1881

stay tuned
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

(05-20-2019, 03:41 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Just a heads up...( have errands to run, more later, when I get back) and a teaser 
Uhoh  

That when you remove the split nuts on a saw...you may find a Patent date on the non-show side....

had to build a screwdriver to remove the nuts...

More later...

Patent date?   PAT DEC 31  1881

stay tuned

Steve,

That's very interesting as it's right around the time split-nuts were being transitioned to slotted screws.

Cheers,
Alan
(05-20-2019, 03:41 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Patent date?   PAT DEC 31  1881

Doubtful -- it looks like the Washbourne patent of 12-31-1867
So...a screwdriver needed made...
Cool
Bought an Irwin Speedbor bit..
Rolleyes
[attachment=18474]
1/2".....find a handle to hold the bit..
Winkgrin
[attachment=18475]
Like this
Cool 
[attachment=18476]
take this, and a big cup of water to the shop's grinder....do a bit of grinding, and a bit of file work..
[attachment=18477]
File to square the notch...
[attachment=18478]
Then adjust the thickness until it fits the slots..
Cool
[attachment=18479]
And remove the split nuts..
[attachment=18480]
Seems to work ok.    may find a pin punch and drive the bolts back out, later.  

Haven't found any etch.....yet.   Plate has zero bends or kinks....could use a good sharpening...not missing any teeth.
Dec 31, 1867.  Disston Patent for improved saw bolt.

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=7540
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(05-21-2019, 07:29 AM)AHill Wrote: Dec 31, 1867.  Disston Patent for improved saw bolt.

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=7540

If you take a look at my post (above), you'll see that the patent was awarded to Washbourne, not Disston.
Disston is one of the manufacturers, along with Richardson, Flint and Harvey Peace.
It may be one of two Washburn patents.  Or neither.

We are looking at the wrong side of the handle to tell from the OP photos.  We are looking at split nuts which does not inform us whether the head is slotted before brazing to the post to form the post or if the brazing is done first, followed by slotting both the head and the post.  

The earlier Washburn patent has split head: https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&...F411%2F397

(That's the 12-31-1867 patent, full image from the US Patent and Trademark Office.)  

The other, later Washburn patent has both head and post slotted after they are joined and brazed: https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&...F411%2F397

(That one is a Reissue of an earlier original patent intended to improve on the first, 1867, one.  The original was 84,663, issued 12-1-1868.  The Reissue is dated 11-29-1872.  Slotting after brazing is said to prevent shearing of the joint between the head and post, since torque is imparted to both in use.)  

The URL selections are those of the US PTO.  

In use, both versions require split nuts, like those shown.  The other end of the bolts would show whether the head is slotted through the post or not, to show which version has been used on the pictured saw.  Hopefully, the OP will oblige with one or more additional photos for us. If it turns out that the heads of the bolts are not slotted at all, they are NOT from the Washburn patents after all. Perhaps they have the square shank "carriage bolt" type construction instead.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron

(05-21-2019, 02:51 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: We are looking at the wrong side of the handle to tell from the OP photos.one.

You may indeed be looking at the wrong side of the handle.
I base my statement on the OP's photo showing a patent date which appears to say" "Dec 31 1867"

If indeed that is what they read (see 1st photo in post), I know of no other saw nut patent issued on that day.

Sadly, the OP posted this same topic and photos on no less than (3) other forums, but was apparently uninterested in adding to the knowledge base here or elsewhere.
It would be nice to know what the actual date was on the split nuts.
here ya go...
[attachment=18492]
and..
[attachment=18493]
and...
[attachment=18494]
along with a look at the plate..
[attachment=18495]
has a 6 stamped down by the teeth....and a "C" up by the middle hole...

Did not find any etch...may be an unbranded model?
Mean this photo?
[attachment=18501]
Before the split nuts were removed, and..
[attachment=18502]
When I flipped the nuts over...
Cool
Patent date?