I just ordered flooring for the dining area, kitchen, living room and entry hall. 3-1/4"w natural oak. I'm waffling between running it left to right or up and down or both. If I install it up and down, it would look good in the entry hall but wouldn't run the long length of of kitchen/dining area because it would run the short distance between the walls. If I ran it lengthwise in the kitchen/dining area, I perceive it would look better in those rooms, including the living room. Does this make sense? Would it look odd running the entry hall up and down and the other rooms lengthwise. <- That's my plan for now unless you talk me off the cliff.  

This area is the area in question.
[Image: 8NahDKV.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Id run the entry north/south and the rest east/west putting a threshold (or transition, whatever you wanna call it) at the entry to the living, and the entry at the dining room at top of entry.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-29-2019, 07:49 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I just ordered flooring for the dining area, kitchen, living room and entry hall. 3-1/4"w natural oak. I'm waffling between running it left to right or up and down or both. If I install it up and down, it would look good in the entry hall but wouldn't run the long length of of kitchen/dining area because it would run the short distance between the walls. If I ran it lengthwise in the kitchen/dining area, I perceive it would look better in those rooms, including the living room. Does this make sense? Would it look odd running the entry hall up and down and the other rooms lengthwise. <- That's my plan for now unless you talk me off the cliff.  

This area is the area in question.
[Image: 8NahDKV.jpg]

Run the hall lengthwise ,then run the other rooms any direction you want. Brass or wood transition pieces are available in lengths from 3'-0" to 94-1/2"
I would run everything left right The hall way will blend right in

(06-30-2019, 09:51 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I would run everything left right The hall way will blend right in

+1
I have a colonial with a center hall that has a similar issue. Everything in our house runs east-west as per your floor plan. Hallway looks just fine...having it all run the same will make the it look bigger.
How about diagonal? 45 degrees?

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.

(06-30-2019, 01:13 PM)Foggy Wrote: How about diagonal? 45 degrees?

A: I don't like the way that looks but it's my wife have to make happy.
B: There's a lot of waste

I figured 10% to waste. We're remodeling the whole house, complete gut so every penny counts.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-30-2019, 06:58 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: A: I don't like the way that looks but it's my wife have to make happy.
B: There's a lot of waste

I figured 10% to waste. We're remodeling the whole house, complete gut so every penny counts.

I think 10% waste is very conservative, IF you're willing to use 4-6" pieces in the closets and such. May have to cut a new groove in the cutoffs and have some spline material on hand.
I would run it north and south in both hall and dining area and then use some other material in the kitchen more suitable to that location. Just me, I guess. I don't think wood flooring is appropriate in a kitchen or other area subject to large or small water spills. I think there will come a time when you will regret the choice.
Wood floor layout