As an old-time (& old) woodworker, I thought the term "PVC Lumber" was a sacrilege -- until today.  I am building a set of cedar planter boxes for my son to put on his deck.  I am lining the interior with 6 mil plastic to keep the dirt away from the wood, but was concerned about seepage from the drain holes in the bottom reaching the wood bottom.  Today I was at Home Depot picking up some other stuff and spotted a small selection of "PVC Lumber."  Problem solved!  (My son often tells me I should get out more.)

There will be three boxes: 2 each 7'L x 18"W x 30"H, plus a smaller one at 3'L x 18"W x 30"H.  This is the smaller one:

Maybe I'm not too old to learn new stuff.

Take care,
Russ

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks nice.

Yep that is the reason they make it for outdoor stuff.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I had a use for some a few months back (use it in a wet location). I did know it existed, just needed to find the right size.....milling PVC is a mess. That planter is nice, well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(07-06-2019, 01:22 PM)fredhargis Wrote: .....milling PVC is a mess.
Fred --
Not really.  It cuts very nicely on both my table saw and radial arm saw.
Take care,
Russ

(07-06-2019, 02:20 PM)rwalden Wrote: Fred --
Not really.  It cuts very nicely on both my table saw and radial arm saw.
Take care,
Russ

Try using a router to shape the edge,  it is a mess with static cling to everything.  Sawing not bad.   Roly
Looks like real wood from here..
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-06-2019, 01:30 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks like real wood from here..

That's because you can't see it.  The box is cedar.  Only the bottom boards are PVC.
Problem now is what do to do with the scraps.  Usually my wood scraps end up in my fire pit.  I guess the garbage man will get these.
Take care,
Russ
My wife recently ordered a couple of Adirondack chairs made from what the manufacturer calls polywood. We intend for them to be outside chairs on our deck. Perfect for Florida's high temp - high humdity weather. All I had to do was assemble them. I was impressed the hardware to bolt the chairs was stainless steel. I could have made the chairs myself using real wood lumber, but it would have taken more time and would not have survived as long as the PVC.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(07-06-2019, 03:53 PM)AHill Wrote: My wife recently ordered a couple of Adirondack chairs made from what the manufacturer calls polywood.  

Are they from polywoodoutdoor.com?  I broke one of our $17 plastic supermarket Adirondack chairs the other day trying to get out of it, and another is cracked where the back meets the seat, and DW has suggested replacing them with something a little more durable.  And my fat adze makes the legs splay when I move, so there’s that.  
Raised

I was thinking some sort of faux lumber would probably be best here.  Or real lumber, I guess.  
Crazy
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(07-07-2019, 09:44 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Are they from polywoodoutdoor.com?

Yes.  A bit of flashing still on some of the pieces, but these are substantial chairs that have some heft to them.  There was one part where the hole did not align with the adjoining part, but I was able to drill a new hole that worked fine.  The mis-drilled hole was far enough out of alignment to allow a clean hole to be drilled.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Sacrilege: "PVC Lumber"