I recently re discovered scraping as a finished surface prep. It depends on the wood of course and a very light sanding with some 220-320 is sometimes required. I have a Stanley 112,81, and a 12, plus a good card scraper. Sharpening is very easy after a bit of "experimenting", it sure saves me a bunch of monotonous sanding!

Attached Files Image(s)

Now where is that chisel

Scraping instead of sanding Smashedfinger I recently re discov...
I bought some cards for scraping a while back.  Still haven't tried them.
Once I discovered card scrapers, I spent far less $$$ on sandpaper. Sandpaper still has its place, but I don’t use the lower grits much at all.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

RE: Scraping instead of sanding Bibliophile 13 Once I discovered ca...
(07-10-2019, 06:20 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Once I discovered card scrapers, I spent far less $$$ on sandpaper. Sandpaper still has its place, but I don’t use the lower grits much at all.

+1
  RE: Scraping instead of sanding Bibliophile 13 Once I discovered ca...
(07-10-2019, 06:20 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Once I discovered card scrapers, I spent far less $$$ on sandpaper. Sandpaper still has its place, but I don’t use the lower grits much at all.

Same here. I rarely use 80 grit now.
Now experiment! Take a sharp plane blade and pull towards you (works very well). Try one of the handled Stanley scrapers-they made many varieties. For first finishing, a scraper right off a filing will have a burr and work, but remember, for the best surface, the more you prep, the better the resulting work.

Also remember on sft wood, results are generally not that acceptable, but a scraper is still great to remove glue squeeze outs. On a hardwood, I can easily get asurface ready for finishing. You need a burnisher harder than the scraper, to burnish correctly.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
http://www.metaltech-pm.com
Make one of these for shaping ....

Sharpens on the grinder ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at http://www.inthewoodshop.com
(07-10-2019, 12:35 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I recently re discovered scraping as a finished surface prep. It depends on the wood of course and a very light sanding with some 220-320 is sometimes required. I have a Stanley 112,81, and a 12, plus a good card scraper. Sharpening is very easy after a bit of "experimenting", it sure saves me a bunch of monotonous sanding!
Here's Paul Hamler's take on scrapers... how to make a good one and what he uses for steel.........I can testify that his idea on HSS works as advertised..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOV9QYiMTw&t=860s
I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be
issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the
traditions for generations of warriors past. [Cpl. Jeff Sornij, USMC;
in Navy Times, November 1994]

Jack Edgar, Sgt. USMC Korean War 51/52
Get off my lawn ! Upset

Scraping instead of sanding