In the market for a good used 8" jointer. A friend of mine is having an auction in September and selling a Powermatic jointer (8", made in Taiwan, dovetail bed). His machine is well used, but he takes care of his tools so I am confident it is well maintained, etc. My current plan was to try to buy this machine at the auction. I've sort of budgeted $1,000, which I *think* will buy it. Who knows what the jointer will bring, but he's selling a shop full of tools so it should draw a good WW crowd. In the meantime, I found an 8" DJ-20 for sale for $600. Looking for advice on what you would do in my shoes??

I really wanted a parallelogram style jointer, but not sure how much difference it will make in the long run. The auction is sort of a crapshoot, but I'd really like to get his jointer since I know its condition. I already offered my buddy $1k outright to buy the jointer but he wants it to go thru the auction.

I'd be inclined to at least go look at the Delta and if it is in good condition, I would take that one.  If your buddy is not willing to sell on the side, I would consider that one unobtainable.  People at auctions can go nuts and bid things way over value.  You might get it, but at close to new tool pricing.  

Bird in the hand....
For sure that Delta deserves a look, at $600 it would be a great buy (IMHO).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(07-12-2019, 12:03 PM)fredhargis Wrote: For sure that Delta deserves a look, at $600 it would be a great buy (IMHO).

Agreed, a DJ-20 in good shape is a bargain at $600.  And I'm wondering what your friend's motives are.  Does he think $1000 for his jointer is too much, and he's hoping you'll get it for less at the auction, or does he think it'll go for more?  If it's the former then he is a true friend; if it's the latter then, well, not so much.  I'd go get the DJ-20.  

John
(07-12-2019, 11:32 AM)ajkoontz Wrote:  I already offered my buddy $1k outright to buy the jointer but he wants it to go thru the auction.

He might have an obligaton in his contract with the auctioneer not to allow cherrypicking....  I agree with the others, take a look at the DJ-20, if not trashed its a very good price for a proven machine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If you get the DJ-20, you can use the difference toward an upgraded cutter head.

(07-12-2019, 01:45 PM)stav Wrote: If you get the DJ-20, you can use the difference toward an upgraded cutter head.

+1...I love my DJ-20 with Byrd head and wouldn't trade it for the PM described.  You offered your "buddy" a very fair price, and he's going to come out the loser after paying the auctioneer's commission.
Bob
Buy the Delta if it meets your expectations. You can also purchase the Powermatic if you get a chance at your price and sell the one you don't wish to keep. What if you don't get a chance to buy either?
Wow, unanimous consensus on the DJ-20. Hope I’m didn’t wait too long and miss it. FWIW, my buddy is trying to preserve the integrity of the auction, it’s not totally about the money. He’s gotta liquidate his entire shop for family reasons, so kind of a lot going on with him.
Yup. The Delta if in decent condition is an absolute buy at that $ point.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Used Jointer Questions