after only having it 3 years and it is locked up tight.

Should I contact PM or can I fix it???

Also links and pictures if needed.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Any way to get some wd-40 down into it? then some light oil?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-15-2019, 07:46 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Any way to get some wd-40 down into it? then some light oil?

Yep...stand it on end and flood it with light oil. Leave it overnight..wobble the center cone a little bit to help gravity...I doubt the dust seal is so tight after all that use, so oiling "might" help save it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That front brass retainer plate screws off. it has two holes like for a spanner wrench, I use a punch to open it and you will see the bearings.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop

(07-16-2019, 08:55 AM)Woodshop Wrote: That front brass retainer plate screws off. it has two holes like for a spanner wrench, I use a punch to open it and you will see the bearings.

Thanks Don I was wondering if it could come off.

I will then do what others have said to make sure all is done that can be done.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

I use a spray bottle with clean mineral spirits in it and spray flush them out with that. It's just sawdust I'm sure. Sawdust can collect moisture though- look for rust- If there is any, I'd replace the bearing. Buy two bearings and keep a spare.

(07-16-2019, 03:19 PM)daddo Wrote: I use a spray bottle with clean mineral spirits in it and spray flush them out with that. It's just sawdust I'm sure. Sawdust can collect moisture though- look for rust- If there is any, I'd replace the bearing. Buy two bearings and keep a spare.

So where would I find bearings for the live center which is the one from Powermatic?

Not them of course or just google it?  Also if I do replace the bearings why not put in 2 or 3 or 4???

(07-16-2019, 08:36 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: So where would I find bearings for the live center which is the one from Powermatic?

Not them of course or just google it?  Also if I do replace the bearings why not put in 2 or 3 or 4???

Arllin,
There are two bearings in the live center with a spacer between them.  You can pull the center out once you remove the brass ring. It is a tight fit, but not pressed in. Once removed I just added light oil to each bearing on the spacer side and then to each on outside.  They seemed sealed and no sign of dust.  I then just replaced them in the housing.
Mine were noisy when I over tighten the center into a work piece.  The oil seemed to quite them down.
The bearings are held on the shaft by e-clips and I did not remove them.
This was the only maintenance that I did since 2007.
Good luck
Bob

(07-18-2019, 06:24 PM)bob-t Wrote: Arllin,
There are two bearings in the live center with a spacer between them.  You can pull the center out once you remove the brass ring. It is a tight fit, but not pressed in. Once removed I just added light oil to each bearing on the spacer side and then to each on outside.  They seemed sealed and no sign of dust.  I then just replaced them in the housing.
Mine were noisy when I over tighten the center into a work piece.  The oil seemed to quite them down.
The bearings are held on the shaft by e-clips and I did not remove them.
This was the only maintenance that I did since 2007.
Good luck
Bob

Don and Bob

I have the brass retainer plate unscrewed but it is being held up by the steel thing in front of it.  Is that the part you above you said to pry off??

Also I did see where the brass retainer was very lock on and once I started loosing it then it was spin freely.  So should I even mess with it taking it all the way off???

You would search for the bearings number. Powermatic doesn't make bearings- they get them from a supplier. I would think it would be a common bearing. Sometimes you have to go metric sizing to get what you want if it is a hard to find bearing. That's what I had to do with the USA made 60 year old milling machine.
 You might start a search here-  https://www.nodeshk.com/timken/catalog/

I've used a lot of SKF bearings and have been very happy with them.
I would guess you may have a double row/angular contact bearing to take the load.
My live center died