I have a deck that is covered by a 6  foot overhang of the roof. 

The deck material is very old (1953) and probably made from Douglas fir.  It has always been painted.  At this point I would like to replace the deck material.  The original is a tongue and groove tight fit.  The only  tongue and groove I am seeing locally is yellow pine and I would not want to use that for an exterior application.

Can I cover that area with exterior plywood (it does not get rained on), and then put down luxury vinyl flooring over it?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

I've seen it done on concrete slab and it worked fine them, but I'm not sure about wood that's going to move around. A floating surface would be better I think. Like the floating vinyl planks.
(07-23-2019, 07:34 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have a deck that is covered by a 6" overhang of the roof. 

The deck material is very old (1953) and probably made from Douglas fir.  It has always been painted.  At this point I would like to replace the deck material.  The original is a tongue and groove tight fit.  The only  tongue and groove I am seeing locally is yellow pine and I would not want to use that for an exterior application.

Can I cover that area with exterior plywood (it does not get rained on), and then put down luxury vinyl flooring over it?

I am having a hard time picturing a deck that is covered by 6 inches of overhang and does not get wet....
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent

(07-23-2019, 09:18 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: I am having a hard time picturing a deck that is covered by 6 inches of overhang and does not get wet....

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe 6' overhang...Still a hard sell for me...

(07-23-2019, 10:12 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I was thinking the same thing. Maybe 6' overhang...Still a hard sell for me...

Yea, even at 6' it's more of a walkway than a deck....
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent

(07-23-2019, 01:33 PM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: Yea, even at 6' it's more of a walkway than a deck....

It was a walkway.  At some point a deck was added to the walkway.  I still have the screen panels that were to seal off the walkway.  It connects the rear door to the house to the door to the attached garage.  You cannot access the garage from within the house.  I have no idea why that was done.  (Fire regs??).

In any event the walkway is covered and only gets wet when snow melts. 

If I floated luxury vinyl planks do you think that mold or mildew would form under the planks?

(07-23-2019, 03:21 PM)Cooler Wrote: It was a walkway.  At some point a deck was added to the walkway.  I still have the screen panels that were to seal off the walkway.  It connects the rear door to the house to the door to the attached garage.  You cannot access the garage from within the house.  I have no idea why that was done.  (Fire regs??).

In any event the walkway is covered and only gets wet when snow melts. 

If I floated luxury vinyl planks do you think that mold or mildew would form under the planks?

I can't imagine water not making it under any type of plank flooring you install on an outdoor deck surface.

(07-23-2019, 03:21 PM)Cooler Wrote: If I floated luxury vinyl planks do you think that mold or mildew would form under the planks?

Sounds like a bad idea, the surface will get water under it eventually and fail sooner or later.  I'm thinking a composite decking material might be best, the kind with the clips that don't have surface screws.  I re-surfaced my treated SYP deck with that stuff and 10 years later it looks as good as the day I put in in.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-23-2019, 09:18 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: I am having a hard time picturing a deck that is covered by 6 inches of overhang and does not get wet....

Ooops!.  That would be 6 feet of overhang.  I made the correction.
Homes around here { northern Wisconsin} built in the 30's had porch floors of t&g 1" southern yellow pine painted Most with a roof over but still open to blowing rain and snow. The ones I replaced in the 70s and 80s were only rotted where posts were sitting on top. Rest was as solid as the day installed Of course most of that was old growth. Not sure how todays wood would hold up.
covered decking question