I like the card scraper, in fact, I keep two right over my bench.  I use them often, sharpen them a lot, but not well, which is why I sharpen them a lot. 
Raised. I know, I know, there are eleventy hundred you tube vids on how to... 
Rolleyes. ... Everyone has their favorite method, and they all look easy.  I have tried a number of methods, and use quality tools.  I have the burnisher, the file, diamond stone, and the rest.  Sometimes I hit lucky and put a really nice hook on that puppy, others it's as flat as if I ran it thru the planer.  
No   

Confused

Maybe 'm not holding my tongue right?  I know, the scraper is defective. 
Yes  Yeah, that's the ticket.

I have seen promos and ads for the Woodsmith jig...
https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Smith-Woodsm...159&sr=8-1

Anyone used one? 

I'm taking a woodcraft sharpening class Wednesday night, focused on plane irons and chisels, perhaps they will offer tips on the scrapers, after all, I bought them there years ago.  Woodcraft sells ^^^^^ that woodsmith jig if it'll get the job done.  The savings in sandpaper will recoup the cost. 
Smirk

I am open to suggestions.  Have a favorite technique?  Educational vid... I'm all ears... (Ah, and eyes.)
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

I occasionally lay a flat file on lengthwise and stroke it a few times.
Then pick up the burnisher (broken carbide bit that Dom sent when I bought a ton of scraper material), and bear down at an angle, making a burr on both sides, one side at a time.

Only takes a few minutes, 10? maybe?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-29-2019, 08:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I occasionally lay a flat file on lengthwise and stroke it a few times.
Then pick up the burnisher (broken carbide bit that Dom sent when I bought a ton of scraper material), and bear down at an angle, making a burr on both sides, one side at a time.

Only takes a few minutes, 10? maybe?

I.get that.
Maybe I'm trying too hard.
I did the flatten the edge, then both sides, then burnish to draw up, then again at an angle to roll the hook...
Then your method.
Both kinda worked.
I read someone's old post that they fiddled with sharpening theirs for s couple years, then boom... Finally got it. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
Jim, I'm right where you are - sometimes I can and sometimes not. Turns out the filing is important as is the honing. I use the Woodsmith jig for the file and a wood block on the diamond stones. If you follow the process, it all comes down to the way you wield the burnisher. I've been expecting the large visible hook - turns out that it is not much larger the burr on your plane irons. I also use the Veritas variable angle burnisher. Again, following the process works - mostly.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Well......I file, then immediately go at an angle on one side with a burnisher. Then the other side.
I don't burnish what I just filed, and I don't burnish the sides (for what reason?) I never seen the sense in drawing the side down. I want an angle. That's where the burr is at.

That's how I was taught in HS shop, 9th, 10th, 11th, all 3 years of woodworking.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Experiment with different scrapers so you can get the feel for what a scraper can do! Take a sharp plane blade out of a plane, holding nearly vertical and pull towards you, and see the nice curlies (same can be down with a wide chisel).

For me, prepping a card scraper is like sharpening any tool: first draw file the top square (use a saw jointeror make a wooden holder for a file), next hone the sides flat (fine oil stone is best, as it will leave just the right amount of lube for burnishing). Now how the card scraper vertical, alongside a wooden block to keep it vertical and hone on the same stone. Next lay on a bench, with the edge of the card about 1/4" back from edge of bench and run your burnisher back and forth several times. Finally, clamp the card in a viseand take your burnisher and roll/burnish the edge out from the scraper. If you run your fingernail up the card, you'll feel the edge. If not, burnish a bit more until you do.

It should be noted choice of material will determine how a scraper will work-pine and poplar, not so well. Cherry or walnut, far easier. Again experiment, not only with wood species, but different thicknesses of scrapers.

For what it's worth, I get great results with cards and thick scrapers. Same with the Stanley #80 handled scraper. Not so good with scraper planes.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks guys
I'll reread this section again before going into the shop tomorrow, and have a shot at the scrapers again.  In the middle of a project for the boss and have to panels of maple waiting to be scraped. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie

I agree that getting the edges square is the first step and pretty critical.  Just saw the price on the Woodsmith jig - wow.  Another option is two rectangles of cut off ply  ( mine are 3/4 inch )  that are longer than your scraper by a few inches but not as high.  Drill 4 holes for dowels than are a loose fit in the corners.  Put the scraper between the scraps and push them together,  hold the scraper so it is just slightly above the scraps, then clamp and file square,  or invert the package and drag it over your file or diamond stone to get the edge square.
After sharpening 50 scraper blades over the span of a couple of days, I can attest that it is much easier to roll a good burr on a blade that has a 45 degree bevel.

I used my Veritas Mk I honing guide to rough out the bevel on a bench sander, then used a wooden block cut at 45 degrees to guide the blade while polishing it on sandpaper stuck to a granite tile. After polishing the bevel and the end of the long side, I clamped the blade into a vise fitted with tall jaws and turned a light burr with a carbide rod. Taking the blade out of the vise, I laid it on the edge of my bench and drew the burr back with the burnisher. Clamping it again in the vise, I then turned the final burr.

Drawing back the initial burr is an important step. It removes any remaining wire edge left from polishing and it work-hardens the metal, resulting in a stronger burr. I was taught this trick by the inimitable Paul Hamler. I've tried it both ways and am convinced of its value.

Shelf added to bench sander for honing guide. It is not a Veritas Mk I guide, nor is it a scraper blade in the photo, but it is the only one that I have on hand at the moment 
Big Grin

[attachment=19712]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I know your pain. I have 5 scrapers and have never gotten the same hook on all twenty edges.

I certainly hope you share your ah ha moment when you find the answer.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Sharpening the cabinet/card scraper?