Rehabs from garage sales....$6 box of drill bits?
Rolleyes  
[attachment=19919]
Price tag said $8...got it for $6....Inventory the contents....
Confused  
[attachment=19920]
A few gems...
[attachment=19921]
Cleaned up, and set aside...
Cool
[attachment=19922]
Half of the rest..and...
Confused  
[attachment=19923]
and...
[attachment=19924]
Some "stubbies"
Winkgrin  That seem to work quite well..
[attachment=19925]
Ok..box is empty...
[attachment=19926]
Cleaned this mess out, cleaned up the outside, and gave the outside a coat of Rustoleum...
[attachment=19927]
And, added some handles....
Winkgrin  
[attachment=19928]
And, added a 1/4" thick wood floor to it....
But, wait, there is more
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Ok..since I have that new wire wheel...
Cool
[attachment=19929]
Small batch.   That masonry bit was tossed...while cleaning it up, discovered a big chip out in the carbide tip...junk
No 
Next..slightly larger batch..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=19930]
Stubbies cleaned up and a few longer ones...
[attachment=19931]
And yet more bits..
Winkgrin
[attachment=19932]
Was a messy work day...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=19933]
The Irwin #21 expansive bit was missing the cutter...I think I can use one from the #22? 
[attachment=19934]
But not the #1 bit.   Carefully stacked all of these back into the box...
[attachment=19935]
Sizes ranged from the #4 ( 4/16") up to a #20 (20/16" !)
Makers?   Fultons, P.S. & W., Irwin, Bates.....a few said Craftsman on them.  even a couple Chrome MY-T-CO bits....Placed the Stubbies over in the Toolchest drawer...
But wait...there's more....
Rolleyes
Picked a saw for a $1......
Rolleyes

[attachment=19936]
Medallion? 
Confused
[attachment=19937]
made by Atkins as the Sheffield brand of saws....panel saw in length..
Cool
[attachment=19938]
Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Drill bit box stashed out of the way....handle removed from the saw plate....95% of the gunk removed from the plate...
Winkgrin 
[attachment=19972]
Will get it all shiny, later...right now I have work for a file..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=19973]
Trying to turn Snaggle Tooth..
[attachment=19974]
Into something a bit better looking, without having to remove all the teeth, first...
No
[attachment=19975]
May take a second round....6" of teeth at a time...Will give me a bit of time to finish the sanded handle....right now, it has 1 coat of Amber Shellac...
[attachment=19976]
IF you look past those teeth, you'll see the handle....and it's shiny Brass hardware...

Left knee is still in rehab...right leg is having issues....will be laid up for this week...skin infection...has been wrapped, and the proper pills taken, AFTER they made sure no blood clots were floating around...always something..

Stay tuned...
Your bits look great. Looking forward to how that saw turns out. The teeth were pretty rough. Never seen one that bad before.
Got about 6" of teeth left to file....not only "Cow & Calves"...line itself is wavy...not side-to-side, but up and down.....
Angry 
[attachment=20011]
I worked from the heel towards to toe...got about this far, hands started to cramp up...will try tomorrow to get the rest done...
Cool 
[attachment=20012]
Test drove the 18" of new teeth...8ppi....cuts fast, but a bit rough....good Carpentry saw...
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Saw sharpening will have to wait, until a new saw file arrives.....in the meantime...
Uhoh  
[attachment=20029]
This came home, for $1.....7ppi, 26" rip saw....sold by Belknap(later was branded as a Blue Grass..)
Winkgrin 
[attachment=20030]
remembered the camera, after I had cleaned the saw up, and shellacked the handle a few times.
Rolleyes   Steel bolts, never had a medallion.
No
[attachment=20031]
A CRUSADER  No. 17, according to the etch.
Confused ..has a "Trade    Mark", too...
Winkgrin
Might need a refresher on the teeth, test drive was fast, and straight rip.....after a rub of a candle along the tooth line....Handle is a 3 fingered grip, index finger goes along side the handle.  
Cool
New file picked up, can of polishing compound, too...
Cool
[attachment=20126]
Bad teeth were jointed...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=20127]
Yeah..they were THAT bad...finally got them filed...
Rolleyes
[attachment=20128]
Had to keep going back a few times, to even them up...Test cut on a Pine 1x4...
Rolleyes
[attachment=20129]
Cut is a bit rough....set needs some work...but..
[attachment=20130]
I think I can use this as a Carpentry saw....so it is now sitting in the Panel saw till....
[attachment=20131]
tried this out....to polish the saw plates...seemed to work.  Maybe tomorrow, I can get the rip saw done? 

Stay tuned...
Have the plate polished up...may give it a second go-round later.    Debate is whether the teeth need any work....rip cuts nicely, as is....we'll see...
Winkgrin
Trying to figure out the settings/numbers on the anvil in that Millers Falls #214 saw set....what would be a good number to use?

Git-up-and-go  barely got moving, today......before it got up and went..
No ...may meander to the shop, in a bit, and see how the polish worked out...will take the camera along...
Rolleyes   Motivation is about the same as a few of the "engines" I'll be looking at next weekend...Hit & Miss....
Winkgrin

Still looking for a project, to use up the spalted, 1 x 6 x 6' piece of Ash I have left.....may have to pull inventory on the scrap pile....
Rolleyes

(08-23-2019, 07:58 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Trying to figure out the settings/numbers on the anvil in that Millers Falls #214 saw set....what would be a good number to use?

Git-up-and-go  barely got moving, today......before it got up and went..
No ...may meander to the shop, in a bit, and see how the polish worked out...will take the camera along...
Rolleyes   Motivation is about the same as a few of the "engines" I'll be looking at next weekend...Hit & Miss....
Winkgrin

Still looking for a project, to use up the spalted, 1 x 6 x 6' piece of Ash I have left.....may have to pull inventory on the scrap pile....
Rolleyes

Numbers on that set, or most sets for that matter, don't mean anything and are at best a very rough guide.  Best to begin to adjust the saw set on the heel teeth, set it somewhere, and see how much set it provides, measure with a mic if you've got one as you don't need much if the plate is taper ground; don't over set, but its important to maintain a consistent set throughout the saw.  Setting teeth, IMO, is more art than science, experience is the teacher.  If you over set, stroke with a stone lightly - that, or refile the teeth which will remove an over set.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
More work to do