I pulled out my trusty Craftsman Autoscroller jig saw [315.17280] to make some simple cuts and it doesn't work. A quick check with a meter and it appears the switch died while sitting on the shelf. The switch is discontinued and I have searched but could not find a replacement. So should I try to find a switch or buy a new saw. Current candidates are the Ryobi cordless to use with my current stock of batteries or the Bosch corded jig saw. The Bosch is a better saw but more expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you don't use a jig saw much (and it sounds like you don't), I would check craigslist or other online classifieds in your area for something.
If I had that saw I would do a short search on Craigslist or other used tool sites and failing to find a suitable replacement, I would look at the switch and see if I could clean it up to make it work--might be able to get some contact cleaner into it. If that didn't work, I'd probably bypass the switch and make a switched receptacle to plug it into. I wouldn't use a saw like that enough to justify buying a new one, though.
I have the Bosch jig saw.  It works well and is easy to control.  Blade changes are easy.  I have a vague recollection that it was expensive, but that no longer bothers me.  The ease of blade changes, and the ease of control of the saw are the only thing I really worry about.

My previous (piece of junk) jig saw was a Skilsaw, and blade changes were ponderous and controlling the cuts was challenging.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My previous jig saw was a Craftsman; it was pure junk, and that's putting it mildly.

I bought the Bosch to replace it; very happy with the Bosch.  There's a tremendous difference in the performance of those two saws.

As for price difference:  the difference became a minor, almost invisible, difference while using the new saw to complete decorative cuts on the end of rafters for my pergola project.

Now I don't dread reaching for the jig saw when I need it.
If you get a Bosh, new or used, you will not regret it; and most likely it wont die of old age sitting on the shelf.  As someone pointed out, ease of use and blade changing have given the Bosh a great reputation.

The only time my DeWalt sees the light of day is when someone needs to borrow a Jigsaw.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Do you have any cordless tools?  If you do I would look for a cordless JS that uses that size battery.  I hate corded tools now.  Since you don't use it often I think getting a JS w/o a battery would be cheaper than a corded tool.  I have had Dewalt, Craftsman, and General Electric.  Didn't like any of those.  I now have a Craftsman cordless 20V - had it since Christmas and still haven't used it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Buy the new Bosch, and put the old saw in the boat. Next time you need a heavy fishing line weight, you'll have it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The only Ryobi tools I own are an impact driver & a right angle drill.  The driver is OK.  The right angle drill is very poorly designed.  I won't go into details.

My main issue with Ryobi is they have a known issue with their batteries not taking a charge and showing "defective".  Apparently it is an internal control board problem.  There is a fix for this which works.

So for no other reason then the battery I would stay away from Ryobi.  That said, I personally would not buy a Ryobi jigsaw.

I have both a Bosch and a DeWalt.  I would say they are about equal.
I have several Ryobi cordless tools and a bunch of batteries, so I would go this route for a cordless tool. The only battery that has died so far was one of the original blue NiCad batteries. All of my newer batteries are still going strong.
I haven't used my old saw in about a year, so it probably doesn't make sense to get the Bosch. I will use my dad's ancient jig saw for my rush job, and then decide which saw to get.
Thanks for the input.
Jig Saw Problems