Question 
I took sailing lessons with a sailing club at work and can handle a Flying Scot with somebody manning the jib, so I'm not *completely* clueless at sailing.  Having said that, living an hour away from where the club's boats are stored and only ten minutes from great sailing on the Patuxent river, I'm contemplating building a simple sailboat.

And the missus has told me to look into it and come up with a plan.  We think a simple catamaran would be best for ease of construction, storage (those I'm looking at can be taken apart and reassembled in under an hour), and transport.  We only want something big enough for two, maybe three, at most.

My main question for now is material choice:  3/16" marine ply will make building hulls quick and easy.  BUT...being a wood worker, I have all the power equipment needed to mill lumber for planking.  I think the ply is probably the best (read:  beginner friendly) method, but would like input from anybody who has built a small craft before.  If you suggest wood planking, what species should I use?

This Hobby Cat, and others like it, are what we're thinking about tackling.  When I say "we" I mean she'll make sure I have the funding; I'll do the building.
Semper fi,
Brad

Okay, so I've answered my own question: Ply is the way to go.

I'd delete the post, but I get a message saying I don't have permissions to do that.
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-17-2019, 11:24 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Okay, so I've answered my own question:  Ply is the way to go.

Ply is easy to work with for some hull designs. You should settle on the design before you decide on the material, though.

I've built plywood boats and ones with solid wood planks. Different designs, though.

CLC has a number of designs and you can buy a very nice kit if you don't want to cut out all the parts. Depending on availability, you may find a kit is economical because there tends to be less waste.
Kudak?...spelling (Jeff Horton), can't remember, is a kayak builder here. He could more-n-likely help you out with info. I think he's currently busy planning/building a new shop and house, so may not be around much.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I believe it was Kudzu. He made the skin on frame kayaks.  He was selling the plans and materials on his web site at one time.
Look at Glen-L and at their accompanying forum.  Lots of good information.  Its on my list for someday as well.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere

I have built several woodstrip canoes, but stitch-and-glue plywood construction is easier and leads to very nice boats. 

Take a look at CLC boats. 
They have plans and kits that people are happy with.  I am not familiar with their sailboats, but they seem to have a selection of those as well.
There was a guy on here years ago by the name of BoB Smaltzer,very good boat builder,I think he lived in the Maine area.I built a pram style,8' footer,used plywood.One sail,stepped well forward.It was a great little sailor.it was a class boat,I just don't remember the name of it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member

(09-17-2019, 09:23 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: There was a guy on here years ago by the name of BoB Smaltzer,very good boat builder,I think he lived in the Maine area.

That was Bob Smalser from Washington State. Very knowledgeable indeed when it comes to boat building.

(09-18-2019, 05:38 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: That was Bob Smalser from Washington State. Very knowledgeable indeed when it comes to boat building.

Thanks Dave,sorry I got that screwed up.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Boat builders out there?