Sad 
sure saves time and tired old legs!

Florescent light fixtures in garage---been there much longer than the 11 years I have. Started failing to come on, flip switch to get them to light. Have never changed the tubes. Figuring the cost of tubes and possibly transformers, research shows I could get 3' LED fixtures that provided more lumens  for $27 for a box of two fixtures. No brainer---I get the new fixtures. Spend time on a ladder removing the old fixture---used to take 5 minutes. Now, since I no longer can see close (cataract replacement), plus being shaky on the ladder---took 15 minutes.

Spend 15 minutes figuring out how to get the new fixtures apart to hardwire(they come with plug in cords with an On/OFF switch that plugs into a socket) and another 20 minutes installing the fixture to the ceiling and wiring it. Tested----No work!!! Test for power at the ceiling---check. Remove the fixture, install power core, plug into extension cord---LIGHT!!!! Reinstall on ceiling---NADA. Recheck connections, recheck for power---check. Still no lights!! Repeat one more time. Nuttin. 

Quit, legs/feet are telling me it would not be a good idea to climb the ladder again.

Go take a break. Get out the phone, toggle the security cam app---and it hits me!!!!! The garage lights are on a two switch circuit. The switches are a low profile type(circa 1965) and can be nudged to set halfway in the travel---rendering the lights INOP!!!!!!! Basement stair lights on a similar circuit and found that out years ago.
Crazy

I must have bumped the switch when installing the electrical feed for the security cams. Go to garage, reach into the shelf, flip the switch and BINGO!!!!!!
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes

All the basement/garage lights are florescent. Am slowly changing all to LED---much more light and whiter light to boot. I installed one over my table saw----MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

It's the Grizwald lighting effect....

Once you start replacing old yellow florescent and incandescent with nice white LEDs you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago... Even a 4100K with a crappy CRI is better than any old light tech. 

5K is a good color temp to get but it is very hard to get real 5K LEDs for a fair price. Most end up being closer to 6K and an ugly blue. You have to spend allot to get real 5K because they are used in the filming and photo industry so they cost a premium.
So did you change the switches so when you get even older and can't remember anything, you replace the lights again?
Laugh
Laugh

Went to my truck to get something and stood there stubbornly until I remembered what the heck I went to the truck to get. Fact is, I've done that a hundred times. Now I chant silently to myself the thing(s) I'm going to get as I go to the truck.
Smirk

(10-10-2019, 11:08 PM)daddo Wrote: So did you change the switches so when you get even older and can't remember anything, you replace the lights again?
Laugh
Laugh

Went to my truck to get something and stood there stubbornly until I remembered what the heck I went to the truck to get. Fact is, I've done that a hundred times. Now I chant silently to myself the thing(s) I'm going to get as I go to the truck.
Smirk

I believe that door manufacturers put in a hidden forcefield in their door jambs. Seems every time I walk through one to do something as soon as I go through the door I forget what I was going to do then I have to turn around and head back to try and figure it out.... Its really bad when I walk from the house to the shop then forget what I went out there for as its a long walk back and forth.

Those lights in the link for northern are great for putting in older buildings that had light bulbs around the building. And yeah they are very bright they are really a high bay light and better mounted 12' or more off the ground. A bunch of places sell those so check a few places to compare prices. I buy stuff from northern from time to time as we have a few stores here. Many of their items are the same as HF some better some stuff the HF items are better especially now since they are coming out with allot of new products. But northern does carry allot of stuff that HF doesn't and their monthly coupons can be used on sale prices as well. Some things are actually cheaper at Northern than HF as well.
A while back Northern Tool had their 4,400 lumen screw-in LED light fixture on sale for the same price as their 2,500 lumen version.  I bought it and installed in in place of the compact fluorescent bulb that was in my garage.  In the winter it would take 10 minutes for the CFL to reach brightness.  The LED was instantaneous. 

The fixture is 10 feet up.  And is brighter than the mid-day summer sun.  My eyes adjust, but way, way brighter than necessary.  But a very nice unit and it only required screwing in.  It included a wide angle reflector.

It is still on sale:  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/...707-_-CONF

But take note that this is a very, very bright bulb.  A 100 watt bulb is just 1,500 lumens.  So this is about equivalent to a 300 watt bulb. 

Just $29.00 now.  I get free shipping because I am a "member" (which means I bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years). 

Some of their items are priced like Harbor Freight, but seem to be of much higher quality.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I never forget what I was going after because I write it on the whiteboard and take a picture with my phone
Proper troubleshooting