If you were to choose between the New Rikon 10" bandsaw (supposedly improved model 10-306) and the Jet 10" bandsaw, which would you pick.
Jeff in Los Angeles

Rikon ....................
Jet would be my pick.
I know you guys have technically answered the OPs question but it would be nice to hear why you make that choice. I have a full size bandsaw that I would like to just keep the re-saw blade in all the time. I would like to get a smaller bandsaw to cut curvy work- mostly in 1 1/4 and less thick wood. Ever since I started making bandsaw boxes years ago I have liked the capability of a 3/16 by 10 tip blade for curvy work.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!

(10-27-2019, 06:33 AM)KyleD Wrote: I know you guys have technically answered the OPs question but it would be nice to hear why you make that choice. I have a full size bandsaw that I would like to just keep the re-saw blade in all the time. I would like to get a smaller bandsaw to cut curvy work- mostly in 1 1/4 and less thick wood.  Ever since I started making bandsaw boxes years ago I have liked the capability of a 3/16 by 10 tip blade for curvy work.

Thanks for asking that question.  The reason I'm buying the 10' is to have exactly what you described.
Jeff in Los Angeles
(10-25-2019, 05:48 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: If you were to choose between the New Rikon 10" bandsaw (supposedly improved model 10-306) and the Jet 10" bandsaw, which would you pick.

I made my choice a few months ago.  I got the Rikon 10-306.

Both claim to have 1/2 HP motors but look at the amps.  

Jet = 3.4 amps  

Rikon = 5.5 amps

Also look at resaw capacity.  The Rikon can resaw up to 5 inches - the Jet only 4.125 inches.

The Rikon does not include a miter gauge but I prefer a homemade sled anyway.  Really, the fence on my new Rikon was the only disappointment but I spent a few hours "customizing" it and now it works fine. 

Mike

(10-27-2019, 12:46 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I made my choice a few months ago.  I got the Rikon 10-306.

Both claim to have 1/2 HP motors but look at the amps.  

Jet = 3.4 amps  

Rikon = 5.5 amps

Also look at resaw capacity.  The Rikon can resaw up to 5 inches - the Jet only 4.125 inches.

The Rikon does not include a miter gauge but I prefer a homemade sled anyway.  Really, the fence on my new Rikon was the only disappointment but I spent a few hours "customizing" it and now it works fine. 

Mike
Could you show us what you did to the fence?  Also some pics of your sled? Thx, Jeff
Jeff in Los Angeles

(10-29-2019, 06:00 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: Could you show us what you did to the fence?  Also some pics of your sled? Thx, Jeff
The 10-306 is a great little saw but the fence is sorely lacking as it comes out of the box.  These mods fixed it right up.

The fence was difficult to lock and wouldn't stay locked.  The problem is the cam-lock curve on the fence handle is too fat.  I removed the handle from the fence and sanded it a little at a time, reassembling and testing frequently until it was perfect.

[Image: 48986442082_ca4e9d061d_c.jpg]

The fence was not 90 degrees to the table surface.  A thin brass shim fixed that in no time.

[Image: 48986247236_b7486fb913_c.jpg]

Originally the fence rested directly on the table surface.  I added a wooden foot to fix that.

[Image: 48986442127_3c4f3edb83_c.jpg]

[Image: 48988464096_be5f9a3e09_c.jpg]

The cut-off sled is dead simple.  Just three pieces of wood.

[Image: 48986442152_f580abe454_c.jpg]

[Image: 48988464071_4e85ac3a20_c.jpg]

Hope this helps.

Mike

Wow - Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Jeff in Los Angeles
That was very helpful Ohio Mike. I would like to thank you for the detailed post as well. Thanks!
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Jet vs Rikon 10" Bandsaw