WoodNet is officially the Lost Art Complaint Department, or; Butt of Lost Art P. Please welcome the chaff or those who have the gaul to question CS's misanthropy.

Today he is making contoured plywood chairs after having an epiphany last night.

Meh. Chris is a good guy. I have learned stuff from his books that I have.
How to really use a bench plane for instance.

I read his stuff online when I remember to go there.

Is he always right? No, is anyone?

I do know that when he was with Popular Woodworking ( in several different
ways ) I found the magazine a good read. Since then, not so much. In fact,
my subscription has run out and I doubt I will resubscribe.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Misanthropy???? Really??  Chris has done more for the craft than most contemporary writers.  I've followed and appreciated his views since he began editing PW and never knew him to be anything but fair and honest.  I met him in person twice and chatted.... he is very down-to-earth and I've never witnessed grandiosity nor haughty attitude.  He has well thought out principles and presents honest versions of his perceptions & experience in his books and articles.  I have differing opinions about some of the things he has said but respect him for his tenacity and integrity.  I think we Woodnetters are fortunate to have him in our midst.

just sayin

Don
Huh. Guess I'll have to find the article link.
I haven't read his blog lately.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I found 4-5 references (and links) about WN being the complaint dept. Official dept? No idea...Lol
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-30-2019, 12:38 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I found 4-5 references (and links) about WN being the complaint dept. Official dept? No idea...Lol

And he probably paid at least the $6 required too.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I've said before and I'll say it again, Swartz's real talent is in publishing, and writing (though some don't like his sophomoric style!). It's refreshing to make such woodworking classics, again available. I hope Lost Arts Is around for a long, long time!

As far as his woodworking styles, that's more a personal opinion, for those of us with decades under our belts, whether or not we subscribe to his techniques. His tool business? Again a personal opinion of your work habits and perceived tool needs.

I did see the mention in his blog about forum comments, but given his writing style, I viewed it at about 2/3s tongue in cheek.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I really don't agree with using WoodNet to tear down an individual. We can comment on his projects, but to simply invite unbounded criticism is unfair. I know he invited the criticism by posting a link to WoodNet and labeling it "Complaint Office." Go ahead and collect the complaints. I doubt a single one of us is or will be as successful as Chris in the woodworking world.

Schwarz was the single biggest influence for me getting into hand tools. He's a smart guy. He's an entrepreneur. His tenure at Popular Woodworking was probably the best years they've experienced in recent history.

BTW, you failed to mention the plywood chair was inspired by a dream he had after taking melatonin to combat jet lag. And, what's wrong with building a chair out of plywood, anyway? Since when has Schwarz ever claimed he was a hand tools only woodworker?

Here's the link to his blog:
https://blog.lostartpress.com/2019/10/28...n-process/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
BIG fan of Chris Schwartz here: I suggest you could be completely wrong in your assessment of him.
I thought that Chris' comment was hilarious!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Chriz Schwarz Dump-On Site