One of my grandchildren is 8 years old and I'm stumped with what to make for him for Christmas. I'd already made a bank, a rocking horse, a toy box, and a bunch of small toys when he was younger but I'm coming up dry for this year. I was hoping the brilliant minds on here might have some suggestions. I thought about a clothes tree but I can't see an 8-year old getting too excited about a place to hang clothes!

Thanks in advance
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!

(11-01-2019, 05:53 AM)5thumbs Wrote: One of my grandchildren is 8 years old and I'm stumped with what to make for him for Christmas. I'd already made a bank, a rocking horse, a toy box, and a bunch of small toys when he was younger but I'm coming up dry for this year. I was hoping the brilliant minds on here might have some suggestions. I thought about a clothes tree but I can't see an 8-year old getting too excited about a place to hang clothes!

Thanks in advance

I made several of these for my nieces and nephews a few years back and they were ages 6-12, they are still playing with them. Its a dice game called shut the box. Here's a couple of examples, a single box or multiple player box.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/363745

https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/411525

Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
Tool box, with a few tools.  Add more later if it goes over well. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

(11-01-2019, 06:45 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Tool box, with a few tools.  Add more later if it goes over well. 
Smirk

I've done that with both of my grandsons.  They each assisted in their tool box build and had a good time.  I just picked up some basic, well used, but functional tools at the local flea market.  Every time they visit, they want to go down to the shop and use their tools.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(11-01-2019, 06:45 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Tool box, with a few tools.  Add more later if it goes over well. 
Smirk

Yep. Admiral and Timberwolf did a great job getting me setup with tools for my son.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

His Mother has already nixed the tool box with tools. She's afraid he will use the kitchen table as a workbench. (His father already has a workbench I built but's in an unheated shed, so he's get limited use in our climate.

I like the "Shut the Box" project, never heard of that before but it looks interesting.....thanks! .
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!

Needs his own work bench!  I built this for my son for Christmas when he was that age

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(11-01-2019, 08:09 AM)5thumbs Wrote: His Mother has already nixed the tool box with tools. She's afraid he will use the kitchen table as a workbench. (His father already has a workbench I built but's in an unheated shed, so he's get limited use in our climate.

I like the "Shut the Box" project, never heard of that before but it looks interesting.....thanks! .

Tools stay at Pap's place, for use in Pap's shop.  That's how I got around that problem.  
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

[Image: gatling-1.jpg]

Give him a book by W. Ben Hunt, and then he'll ask for the tools.  It worked for me, a while back.
Look Here
Christmas Present for 8 year old Boy