For a long time I've had two benchtop router tables sitting on a cart and I've decided to clean up this set-up and want to run my ideas thru the WN braintrust. I am pretty set on having two routers in one top as I've gotten used to having 2 routers set up for matched bits, etc. I'm going to need to buy some parts, but some of the parts will be scavenged off my current tables. Below are my ideas, and would appreciate any feedback, criticism, etc.
  • top will be 1/2 solid surface material glued to 2x 3/4" MDF (I have a piece of 30"x48" solid surface material that I'm not using)
  • fence #1 will be Lee Valley split fence that I already own, fence #2 will be 80/20 extrusion that I have ordered. Will need to buy 2"x3" aluminum angle extrusion to hold the fences together and allow for attachment to table
  • Plan on buying combination t-track/ miter slot for each side- What are the optimum dimensions away from the bit to put the miter fence?
  • I'm going to buy at least one lift for a PC 890 router- 99% sure a Jessem Router Lift 2. The other router I want to use is a Hitachi M12V. Looking at either a router lift or router raizer for this one.
  • Planning on building a Norm style cabinet for this top to sit on
  • Any thoughts on the dimensions of the top shown below? I'm trying to optimize the sheet of SS that I have is basically how I came up with these dimensions, but I can't go too big either because space is an issue in my shop.
  • Any thoughts about any of my other ideas?

The November 2019 WOOD Magazine has an article on the build of a two (or more) router table and top.
Thanks for the Wood Magazine heads-up. I like the trim router idea. Would be nice to incorporate that with round over bit installed.
First one is set up for rails and stiles. There's 2 PC 7537's under there.

[attachment=21520][attachment=21521][attachment=21522][attachment=21523]

Second one is/was for doing door round overs, edge profiles, and general use.

Pics were taken before I got the top upper dust system on.

[attachment=21524][attachment=21525][attachment=21526]

I used old lower kitchen cabs and made the tops.
All 4 routers have the Rockler alum inserts.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Love it. Anything you would do differently on the first one?
Build a better, wider cabinet box for more storage
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-01-2019, 03:30 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: For a long time I've had two benchtop router tables sitting on a cart and I've decided to clean up this set-up and want to run my ideas thru the WN braintrust. I am pretty set on having two routers in one top as I've gotten used to having 2 routers set up for matched bits, etc. I'm going to need to buy some parts, but some of the parts will be scavenged off my current tables. Below are my ideas, and would appreciate any feedback, criticism, etc.
  • top will be 1/2 solid surface material glued to 2x 3/4" MDF (I have a piece of 30"x48" solid surface material that I'm not using)
  • fence #1 will be Lee Valley split fence that I already own, fence #2 will be 80/20 extrusion that I have ordered. Will need to buy 2"x3" aluminum angle extrusion to hold the fences together and allow for attachment to table
  • Plan on buying combination t-track/ miter slot for each side- What are the optimum dimensions away from the bit to put the miter fence?
  • I'm going to buy at least one lift for a PC 890 router- 99% sure a Jessem Router Lift 2. The other router I want to use is a Hitachi M12V. Looking at either a router lift or router raizer for this one.
  • Planning on building a Norm style cabinet for this top to sit on
  • Any thoughts on the dimensions of the top shown below? I'm trying to optimize the sheet of SS that I have is basically how I came up with these dimensions, but I can't go too big either because space is an issue in my shop.
  • Any thoughts about any of my other ideas?

I used to make cedar strips for canoes . One edge is a round over and the other is a cove. I made a simple box about 18" wide , 30" long and about 12" high. Box was clamped to the bench. Top was from a used counter top. One router was a PC 690 and the other was an old Stanley  5/8 HP router. Simple but easy to make ,cheap and worked as well as any fancy router table. Your drawing is different from how I placed my routers. 
Because the strips are about 1-1/16" x 1/4"  I installed the routers with one in front of the other in order to rout both edges at the same time. 
I would not be able to rout narrow strips if the routers were opposite each other. 
I also use a power feeder .
mike
Darrell Peart is a Greene and Greene furniture maker.  He has a multi-router setup that's very nice.  Just scan back thru some of his instagram posts to see some pictures and get more info:

https://www.instagram.com/darrell.peart/

Lonnie
Help me design a double router table top