So it looks as if our 40 gallon gas water heater, which is just a little out of warrantee, now has a drip coming from the plastic flush valve.  I'm pretty sure based upon the youtube videos that this wouldn't be too hard to replace however I hesitate - will attempting to fix this just make things worse and disturb the mechanical gods?  is it just better to let it drip and empty the plastic ice cream tub once a day before I leave for work?  Thanks for any info!

Replace it. Get the parts, shut it down, flush and then drain it. Make sure the heater is off. Replace valve, refill with a hot faucet open to vent the air and turn back on.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-05-2019, 12:48 AM)blackhat Wrote: Replace it. Get the parts, shut it down, flush and then drain it. Make sure the heater is off. Replace valve, refill with a hot faucet open to vent the air and turn back on.

Follow-on steps...
Bow to the plumbing gods and beg for leniency before you start and after you think you've finished.  This will accomplish nothing, but may make you believe you tried.
Fill the gas tank in your car.
Withdraw some extra cash from your bank.
Be sure your homeowners insurance is up to date.
Complete required multiple follow-on trips to the plumbing parts store for additional parts as follows:
On the first trip, be sure to inquire about new water heaters while you're there, just for giggles. 
On the 2nd trip for parts, order new water heater, just in case,  even though you don't think you will need it.  Be glad you scoped it out on the last trip
On the 3rd trip, be glad you ordered water heater on 2nd trip.
Upon returning home with new heater, advise wife to look up numbers for two different plumbers, even though you think you don't need one at all.
Remember, you're acting like a plumber.  Be sure to flaunt your plumber's crack.
During installation, it's quite likely you will inadvertently do something that will void warranty and make it such heater cannot be returned.
When you fire it up and it doesn't work, it's probably because of something done in the last step.  Hopefully you have alternate use for now useless heater.
Now it's time to call plumber #1.  Be glad you had the number handy.
As plumber #1 finishes up and you ask about inspections, you will likely get the "deer in the headlights" look.  Inspections?  What inspections?  Don't have permit.  Don't need no stinking inspections.
You can now take some comfort that you validated your homeowner's insurance as you return home from a long day at work and find the basement now resembles a swimming pool.
Call the 2nd plumber.  Be glad you had the number handy.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Of course, just kidding.  Follow Blackhat's advice. 
Yes
(11-04-2019, 10:27 PM)joshua5 Wrote: So it looks as if our 40 gallon gas water heater, which is just a little out of warrantee, now has a drip coming from the plastic flush valve.  I'm pretty sure based upon the youtube videos that this wouldn't be too hard to replace however I hesitate - will attempting to fix this just make things worse and disturb the mechanical gods?  is it just better to let it drip and empty the plastic ice cream tub once a day before I leave for work?  Thanks for any info!

Do it right.....Replace it with a ball valve. Much larger opening to drain and flush water heater. No leaks, all metal construction, and easier to open/close.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevi...aters.html
Always get a water heater with a brass valve, those plastic ones are not that great.
I screwed a cap with a washer on mine to stop the drip.  Then I sold the house.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere

(11-05-2019, 12:48 AM)blackhat Wrote: Replace it. Get the parts, shut it down, flush and then drain it. Make sure the heater is off. Replace valve, refill with a hot faucet open to vent the air and turn back on.

+1

(11-05-2019, 10:00 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: I screwed a cap with a washer on mine to stop the drip.  Then I sold the house.

Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-05-2019, 10:00 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: I screwed a cap with a washer on mine to stop the drip.  Then I sold the house.

Fixing it correctly sounds like it would have been easier
Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

If it was me, and particularly if I live in an area known for hard water like I do, then I'd also inspect/replace the anode rod while I had the unit drained.

Not an expensive item to replace.

(11-07-2019, 07:47 AM)WxMan Wrote: If it was me, and particularly if I live in an area known for hard water like I do, then I'd also inspect/replace the anode rod while I had the unit drained.

Not an expensive item to replace.

Great advice. I have a 25 year old water heater that I've replaced the anode in 2 times (on 3rd anode now). I also flush it, through a straight ball valve yearly. 
 But replacing anode rods usually falls on deaf ears!
drip from water heater flush valve