I have several western saws but keep using pull saws for my hand work. I have a traditional Japanese pull saw--no impulse hardened teeth--but don't know of anyone who sharpens them.

Would someone have a lead for sharpening?

Thanks, 
Bruce

Why not do it yourself, Bruce. It involves a feather file, which is available, and then it should simply be touching up the existing rake angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(11-09-2019, 10:24 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I have several western saws but keep using pull saws for my hand work. I have a traditional Japanese pull saw--no impulse hardened teeth--but don't know of anyone who sharpens them.

Would someone have a lead for sharpening?

Thanks, 
Bruce

Find Wilber Pan's blog "Giant Cypress" I think. He may have mentioned some names in the past or you can send him an email through his blog.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Mark Grable is the only metate (Japanese saw guru) in the United States as far as I know . I'm not sure if he's still in the business, but here's the link to his site:

http://www.daikudojo.org/Links/mark_grab...rvice.html
Thanks for the reminder Hank. I have had the Daiku Dojo site marked for some time and will try to reach Grable this coming week. However, the Daiku Dojo site seems to have had no maintenance activity since 2011. 

The concern with doing my own touch ups is simply lack of guidance and even material. Pull saws are a bit more complex than western counterparts. Exile a person with a western saw and any file, with no background information or access to instruction and you have the current state of guidance for sharpening pull saws. Lee won't even identify sharpenable pull saws; descriptions are inference only.

Western vs. eastern saw has been a conundrum for some time. It is easier to use a pull saw due to physical constraints. That comfort comes at a cost.

(11-10-2019, 01:14 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Thanks for the reminder Hank. I have had the Daiku Dojo site marked for some time and will try to reach Grable this coming week. However, the Daiku Dojo site seems to have had no maintenance activity since 2011. 

HBMCC, I think you are right, the Daiku Dojo site is probably defunct. I haven't seen any activity there for years. However, it is not Mark Grabel's site. It is (or was) an American site (California, I think) dedicated to Japanese joinery, construction and tools. It listed Mark Grabel's contact info and pricing information because he's the only metate in the U.S. He's supposed to be very good. I'd be interested in knowing if you are able to get in touch with him. I have a saw that needs some attention.

Hank

(11-11-2019, 09:58 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: HBMCC, I think you are right, the Daiku Dojo site is probably defunct. I haven't seen any activity there for years. However, it is not Mark Grabel's site. It is (or was) an American site (California, I think) dedicated to Japanese joinery, construction and tools. It listed Mark Grabel's contact info and pricing information because he's the only metate in the U.S. He's supposed to be very good. I'd be interested in knowing if you are able to get in touch with him. I have a saw that needs some attention.

Hank

if i ever decide to try it again, i am going to try to just touch up the tooth points using a thin, fat diamond file.....it may work.......
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I just discovered Wilbur's sharpening section on Giant Cypress. Plowing through it right now......  Naturally, Wilbur pleads little knowledge, but it is far better than what I have found ... like using a Brillow Pad buffing wheel.

(11-10-2019, 02:15 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I just discovered Wilbur's sharpening section on Giant Cypress. Plowing through it right now......  Naturally, Wilbur pleads little knowledge, but it is far better than what I have found ... like using a Brillow Pad buffing wheel.

I tried it once....teeth so hard it wiped out the file before I could finish it.....never again....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-10-2019, 03:07 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I tried it once....teeth so hard it wiped out the file before I could finish it.....never again....

Yah, you do need to know whether the steel is hardened or not. If you can cut-and-cut like I did this summer with my redecking, it's very likely--although I knew--hardened. The next way is to try and saw nails; teeth go flying everywhere, which happened with my first blade. 

They do make "traditional" resharpenable blades which is what I hope to have, since I can't read Japanese. The steel is supposed to be a little harder than that of western saws.
Who in States sharpens Japanese Pull Saws?