I want to upgrade to a 8" jointer. I have used a Jet 6" for the last 10 years with no issues other than the bed is a little short and it's hard to set the knives.

So on the 8" I want a 72" bed. Also not sure about the Helix cutter head? It appears to be about 500 extra for that. Is it worth it? I only woodwork for a hobby and don't even change knives once a year unless I knick them

Also thoughts on the China made 8" vs the Taiwan? Worth the extra money?

Thanks

(11-23-2019, 10:36 AM)Troubleshooter Wrote: I want to upgrade to a 8" jointer. I have used a Jet 6" for the last 10 years with no issues other than the bed is a little short and it's hard to set the knives.

So on the 8" I want a 72" bed. Also not sure about the Helix cutter head? It appears to be about 500 extra for that. Is it worth it? I only woodwork for a hobby and don't even change knives once a year unless I knick them

Thanks

I had a 8" Delta jointer that I upgraded to a Helix cutter head that I picked up from Brian at Holbren. Best thing I ever did. Not only was it quieter the cut was smooth. I was using a lot of figured wood like curly maple and I usually had some tear out. That stopped with the Helix head. You need to see if the Grizzly unit has the true Helix head or their version of the spiral cutter. If you know someone who has a 8" jointer with a Helix head go and face plane a 8" board. You will not believe the difference. IMHO, of course. It's better to buy the unit with it already installed. My Delta machine was 8 years old when I did the upgrade. Not hard to do but spend the money now.
I've been happy with my scratch n dent tent sale GO490 standard knife jointer I bought and rebuilt.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Have you considered an older, 8 or 12" cast iron jointer? With patience, depending on your location, they can often be had for less than a new 8".

My 1885-ish 12" jointer weighs 900#, is solid cast iron, and cost me $500. Another $500 or so in replacement parts and paint.

Straight blades, but I'll eventually upgrade to a helix. It's a $1200 update, hence the delay.

I have a helix in my PM100. Yes, it's worth it for me. I, too, am a hobbyist.
Semper fi,
Brad

If you need a Helix cutter head in your jointer, I guess you need one on your thickness planer as well.
Think I would get one for my planer, and use jointer with straight knives to get board flat, then plane both sides with my planer to thickness required.
Now, if I had $$$ coming out out the wazoo, I would get the Helix on the jointer as well.
Or maybe a nice sander.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

(11-23-2019, 04:56 PM)Pirate Wrote: If you need a Helix cutter head in your jointer, I guess you need one on your thickness planer as well.
Think I would get one for my planer, and use jointer with straight knives to get board flat, then plane both sides with my planer to thickness required.
Now, if I had $$$ coming out out the wazoo, I would get the Helix on the jointer as well.
Or maybe a nice sander.

I had a 6 inch Delta DJ-15 for 15 yrs. Found a used Delta DJ-20 for a very nice price. Sold the 6"and bought Helix head. Could not be happier. Have been so happy with Helix I installed one in my planer, now I do not need double hearing protection.

You should be able to find a nice used machine for less, but you must be patient.
(11-23-2019, 10:36 AM)Troubleshooter Wrote: I want to upgrade to a 8" jointer. I have used a Jet 6" for the last 10 years with no issues other than the bed is a little short and it's hard to set the knives.

Thanks

PM sent

Thanks

I have a 8" Jet with closed base and helix head.  I bought it new but not sure when that was, maybe 12 years ago.  I have a hobby shop.  I haven't rotated the cutters since I had the jointer.  I now have a 16" jointer and would be willing to sell my 8" one but realize I am quite a hike from where you are located.  Let me know if you are interested.  Ken

Thanks

BTW, you must not have your PM function turned on.  Ken
Pirate, there's no need for one, but having it makes using the tool easier.
Semper fi,
Brad

Deciding on Griz 8" jointer