I got a Turnmaster set, and additional tops so I could change them out easily. After several days of using them, I found that the monkey that engineered them, was obviously not a wood turner. The big knurled nut that holds the tips on; is right where you would place the tool on the tool rest. The company says to place your toolrest a couple inches from the work piece. Well, that would be great, except the carbide cutter (round) wants to dig in from that distance and chatters! I turn dried, hard wood. This dug in so bad on the inside of a english walnut bowl (I was using correct placement and being very careful) that it kept triggering the electronics on my lathe to stop the motor. I did not know my lathe could do that, but I'm glad it does! Going back...all of them. Going to invest in some cryo gouges.
Now where is that chisel

Not familiar with those I guess.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-27-2019, 02:31 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I got a Turnmaster set, and additional tops so I could change them out easily. After several days of using them, I found that the monkey that engineered them, was obviously not a wood turner. The big knurled nut that holds the tips on; is right where you would place the tool on the tool rest. The company says to place your toolrest a couple inches from the work piece. Well, that would be great, except the carbide cutter (round) wants to dig in from that distance and chatters! I turn dried, hard wood. This dug in so bad on the inside of a english walnut bowl (I was using correct placement and being very careful) that it kept triggering the electronics on my lathe to stop the motor. I did not know my lathe could do that, but I'm glad it does! Going back...all of them. Going to invest in some cryo gouges.

I tried a round carbide cutter with the same results. My carbide tools are in the reject pile
Wasn’t familiar with the tool so looked it up online, and then found a video demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJCuK6_Z2Q

https://www.packardwoodworks.com/tools-srby-turnm.html

Think really need to maintain tool control with tool rest so far away from the item you are turning! Cost of tool & cutters doesn’t impress or make sense to me nor position of how far away from turning tool rest has to be too turn successefully.
Bill
I have never used the Sorby ones but started with the EZ tools and I really like them and recommend them for guys and gals I teach who have no grinders, however I do sharpen all the tools they have or that I have given them.

I think the guys name is John in S&S and I bought the first ones he was selling in carbide tools to give the those I teach.  I just had to make handles for them and his carbide is good prices as well.

You have to remember that they are primary scrappers and if turned on the side can be used as a shear scrapper.  I do my finishing cuts with normal bowl or spindle gouges tho.  I mainly use the carbide tools to hog out the wood and then do my finish cuts after that.

There is a few exemptions where I do not use carbide is on woods like Red Ceder which will tear out the woods and leave a lot of finish work to do.

If you do not like them see if you can return them and if they will not do that I will see what I can scrap up for cash to buy them from you to give them to others to use.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have a set of shop-made carbide tipped tools. I think each one cost me 12 bucks to make. they aren't as pretty as the EasyWood or others but they cut just as well. take some steel stock, if its round stock grind or file a flat spot for the cutter to sit, drill and tap for the cutter thread and you now have a carbide tool. You can use your new tool to turn a handle for itself.

Giving up on Sorby turnmaster