Brick 
With the dovetail class I took with my orthopedic surgeon several months ago, then again here on the website several times over the years...

Saw my surgeon for a follow up on my shoulder surgery today, and the first thing he told Miss Tina and I was that my Tip was in the latest issue of Fine Woodworking. 
Big Grin. I'm sure I am not the only one to ever do it, but it does reinforce it as a good idea.  He had a huge grin on his face. 
Laugh

The tip?

When I sand project pieces, I always save the fine sawdust by species, in labeled spice jars.  I use the dust to fill fine cracks or gaps with a bit of tight bond, mixing with a drop of stain if need be.  On larger gaps, I fill layer by layer with CA glue and the dust of choice until the fill is slightly proud.  

Need to stabilize a knot, look for matching sawdust in your collection, fill the cracks and voids layer by layer with CA and sawdust.

once your patch of choice is completed, sand smooth, to about 400.

Works great all around.

Big Grin

Have to look for a copy of the article.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Congrats on getting your tip published.
Congrats on getting your tip published. 

Just so you know, this tip was taught to me by my  Grandfather (a professional carpenter) nearly 50 years ago. I don't think it was original with him, either.

I save my empty prescription bottles and label them for convenience.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I wasn't the one who submitted the tip... I want to be crystal clear about it.
I just try to share good things I have learned when I can, with friends, on the forums...
Every now and then I get original ideas... This wasn't one of them.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie

(12-12-2019, 08:40 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I wasn't the one who submitted the tip... I want to be crystal clear about it.

Big Grin

So it's your surgeon who submitted the tip, right?

For gaps, veneer (cut from the same stock used for the dovetails) is what I'd use (the Frid method). Sawdust mixed with glue usually shows after a finish (at least to a seasoned woodworker). But if I ever would use sawdust, I would grind some from the SAME stock or board used in the project. I keep scraps from a project until after the project is done, and then burn or compose them.

Simon

(12-13-2019, 02:02 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: So it's your surgeon who submitted the tip, right?

For gaps, veneer (cut from the same stock used for the dovetails) is what I'd use (the Frid method). Sawdust mixed with glue usually shows after a finish (at least to a seasoned woodworker). But if I ever would use sawdust, I would grind some from the SAME stock or board used in the project. I keep scraps from a project until after the project is done, and then burn or compose them.

Simon

Nah, I don't have any idea who actually submitted the tip or wrote the article.  He was just commenting on the coincidence and happy to see it appear.  He is a great guy, been my ortho guy for thirty years, both as a civilian first then thru the VA.  I'll miss him as a professional but love having the opportunity to get to know him on a social basis.

Wink
Jim in Okie
"When I sand project pieces, I always save the fine sawdust by species, in labeled spice jars."

I remember being a guest at a local woodworking club outside of Atlanta; must have been 10 years or more ago.  Someone in the club had the presentation and had just given the same tip. Another member chimed in and said.....

"You know, one day we're going to pass away. When they go through our shop to clean it out and find a collection of little jars of labeled sawdust, they're going to think we were bat-$h@! crazy!
Yes
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Funny thing is, the little things come in handy.  Tina's Westie pup chewed the edge of a window sill. 
Upset   It's not like she doesn't have a toy or two, or three dozen.   Six grand to put thirteen new Pella windows in... 
Wink ... And SHE wants to eat one.  Tina wasn't happy.  I cut out and squared the small chewed area, and glued in a hardwood patch.  I will plane it close, sand it to match, then use saw dust and glue for any tiny gaps.  A final sanding... And paint... Abracadabra... Magic. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
Great idea! When I need to fill a void, I usually just make my own sawdust from a piece of scrap on the spot. But it’s nice to have it all ready ahead of time, especially if you need more than just a pinch. I do keep one or two common species of dust in bags for exactly this reason. Spice jars would be classier.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I've saved fine dust as well, but for the most part I'll just wet sand using the finish material (e.g. lacquer) to fill those gaps.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
The tip I shared...