I believe I've posted this before, but I sanded it down and added another coat of walnut oil right before Christmas and thought I'd share it again.

You may have seen this design from a guy in Russia called MTM Designs I believe.  I simply watched a few minutes of his YT video and figured out what he did and presto.....it came out perfect.

Walnut and maple with padauk border.

[attachment=22677]
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV

Wow! That is impressive.  I didn't see your earlier post on it. It must have taken quite a bit of time with all those small pieces.

I really like the effect though. If you let your eyes go, it looks like there are four bulges in the board.

(01-03-2020, 01:04 PM)stav Wrote: Wow! That is impressive.  I didn't see your earlier post on it. It must have taken quite a bit of time with all those small pieces.

I really like the effect though. If you let your eyes go, it looks like there are four bulges in the board.

Actually easier than it looks.  Here is a quick how to.....

Rip walnut and maple strips to a certain thickness (using millimeters was the way to go).  See the numbers on the right?  Those represent each piece in mm

[attachment=22679]

You then glue up two large "boards" with those strips in a certain order.  The key here is that one "board" starts with a piece of walnut in the middle and the other starts with maple

[attachment=22680]

Then take those boards to the table saw and cross cut sections off of them a little thicker than the finish thickness of your cutting board

[attachment=22681]

Then after you have all those crosscut, you have turn flip them so the end grain is facing up.  Rip all those sections into those millimeter dimensions that you use for the first set of strips in step one

After that you alternate the strips in a certain order that matches the order you used on the 2 large boards

Always good that have extra paws to help glue 
Big Grin
Laugh

[attachment=22683]

Once the board is glued up, you trim two sides to finish dimension and glue on your border wood.  Here I used end grain Padauk

[attachment=22684]

Then trim the last two edges, glue the last remaining border pieces on and final sand.

I used Mahoney's walnut oil for the finish.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV

Stunning!  Definitely too nice to ever cut on.  

Your helper is the cat's meow.    

John
I've seen that guy's videos, he does amazing work. It's not a million small pieces as much as it's carefully planning the thickness of the strips you rip!
Benny

Absolutely gorgeous...
Those look great.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Really cool.

I have been doing a few end grain cutting boards lately. Have not figured out the 3d effect. One guy does them fading from walnut to maple with cherry in between. Real cool fad effect.
….wow.....that is cool!
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
That is soooo cool!  You did great in working out the sequence.  Great Job!

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Cutting Board - Revisited