I have never attempted anything like this. We have a tall pantry unit for can and dry food storage that we have never been able to come up with a good efficient use of the space. I think it would be the perfect place for a rollout unit. The space is 14.75” wide by 22.625 deep by 49.75 high. I’d like to build a four shelf slide out unit with retractable wheels for support. Does this make sense? Or would you mount individual slide out shelves? If this space was yours how would you attack it for food storage?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.

(01-12-2020, 04:09 AM)stoppy Wrote: I have never attempted anything like this. We have a tall pantry unit for can and dry food storage that we have never been able to come up with a good efficient use of the space. I think it would be the perfect place for a rollout unit. The space is 14.75” wide by 22.625 deep by 49.75 high. I’d like to build a four shelf slide out unit with retractable wheels for support. Does this make sense? Or would you mount individual slide out shelves? If this space was yours how would you attack it for food storage?

The concept makes sense.  There are a few details that could really help me visualize what you envision.

Is the space for the rollout the entire volume you described above?  I presume this is the space that is at floor level, yes?

Is there anything in front of that space that would impinge rolling out the unit?

The fact that the space is significantly deeper than it is wide means anything that goes in there should be capable of coming out all the way, to avoid stuff being shoved to the back only to be found months or years later.

Do you have any pics of the space?  That would really help generate some ideas.

(01-12-2020, 06:48 AM)WxMan Wrote: The concept makes sense.  There are a few details that could really help me visualize what you envision.

Is the space for the rollout the entire volume you described above?  I presume this is the space that is at floor level, yes?

Yes this entire space available,  there is one built in shelf at the top of the pantry unit.

Is there anything in front of that space that would impinge rolling out the unit?

No, it is an open area  which is why I thought of roll out unit.

The fact that the space is significantly deeper than it is wide means anything that goes in there should be capable of coming out all the way, to avoid stuff being shoved to the back only to be found months or years later.

That is one of the problems now. 

Do you have any pics of the space?  That would really help generate some ideas.

No, I don’t but I will get some.
Jim

There is a good chance
(01-12-2020, 04:09 AM)stoppy Wrote: I have never attempted anything like this. We have a tall pantry unit for can and dry food storage that we have never been able to come up with a good efficient use of the space. I think it would be the perfect place for a rollout unit. The space is 14.75” wide by 22.625 deep by 49.75 high. I’d like to build a four shelf slide out unit with retractable wheels for support. Does this make sense? Or would you mount individual slide out shelves? If this space was yours how would you attack it for food storage?

Seems like it would be a helluva lot less work to make pull out shelves.
Sad 
[attachment=22875]

Pic of space
Jim

There is a good chance
It looks like the bottom of the space is not flush with the floor; that would have to be accounted for somehow.  It would be a disaster to have a tall bottle of something like olive oil get jiggled and fall to the floor while the pulling the "cart" out of the space.

With a roll-out cart, you're going to also lose a significant amount of the width of the space, perhaps 2 1/2 inches or more.  Figure 3/4 inch of material on each side plus 1/2" clearance for each side.  The advantage to just installing slide-out drawers would be to reduce that loss of width by half.

If it was me...and it's not...given the nature of that space and the that the floor of the pantry area looks to be higher than the exterior floor, I'd probably opt for slide out shelves.  I'd go on Amazon and get some 22" full extension slides with an inch (more if available) of over-travel.
That's three recommendations for pull out shelves.  Either way it is not something I have attempted before. Looked on Amazon.  Any slide brand name better than the other?

Since I have cabinet storage issues in the shop, I'm going to start there learning how to do this.
Jim

There is a good chance
In my view, you need a lip to keep stuff on the shelf.  I'd go minimum of 2 inches above the box bottom.
Jim,
I built something similar years ago. Google on "Narrow roll out storage" and look at images. Lots of ideas re roll out units as well as pull out shelves.

Good luck, Ed
Ed
I have something similar to this in my kitchen, but full height. The bottom and top shelves are fixed, while the middle ones are drawers with an approximate 2" side and front. This works well because each shelf may be pulled out individually for more options. The heights of the drawers varies as well for larger boxes and smaller cans, etc..
Roll out pantry storage unit