I recently started playing with the combination of Hawaiian koa and Gabon ebony, and made these for my wife. All are 18 segments per ring with a solid koa base and finished with a wipe on poly. I really like the combination, so plan to try a few different forms and see how they come out. These are 8” across x 7 tall, 6.5 across by 5.5 tall and 5 across by 4.5 tall. Given the cost of koa and ebony, I’ve been testing the form with less expensive woods to make sure I like it before turning. Going forward, if I continue these shapes with different combinations, going to make sure the forms are more uniform across the sizes - these were eyeballed and it shows. Perspective is a little off in the pictures - mid band on the 2 larger is close to 2/3 up the height of the vessels.

I like them.  They look like baskets and that is cool to me.  Just need to put on some handles.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nice combination of wood. Looks great
That Koa looks nice!

Anyone know what Koa means in Hawaiian?
VH07V  

(01-13-2020, 02:24 AM)EightFingers Wrote: That Koa looks nice!

Anyone know what Koa means in Hawaiian?
My daughter lives there. If I remember correctly I believe it means tree. Also here it means a campground- KOA =Kamggrounds of  Ameica.
LOL

No, it means warrior.
VH07V  
Latest turnings