Isn't it every woodworker's saga of not having clamps for the current project. I was going to do a dry fit yesterday and realized the basement wasn't tall enough so I would nave to assemble it laying down. Then I grabbed my bar clamps and realized they were about 3" too short. I had bought 10" pipes and had them cut in half and threaded knowing I could always union and and another section of pipe to extend them. What I needed would have been right at the union. So off to Lowes and got some 6' pipe. It is always something.

Dry fits are a life saver! A spacer on one end might've been able to push the clamping area past the coupler. I usually have to use a spacer on both ends as protection from the clamp pads and to spread out the pressure. I forget if that's a caul or if cauls are strictly for keeping panels aligned.
You could have made some clamp extenders for the set of clamps you have.
One reason why I like having welders ... and a pile of 3/4" pipe.
(01-13-2020, 07:37 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: Isn't it every woodworker's saga of not having clamps for the current project. I was going to do a dry fit yesterday and realized the basement wasn't tall enough so I would nave to assemble it laying down. Then I grabbed my bar clamps and realized they were about 3" too short. I had bought 10" pipes and had them cut in half and threaded knowing I could always union and and another section of pipe to extend them. What I needed would have been right at the union. So off to Lowes and got some 6' pipe. It is always something.

Z shaped scraps could have saved you a trip. Or a scrap of 2x with each end cut out about 2" x2". One end hooks the work and the other the clamp pulls from. have about 4 pieces of pipe 12" long threaded for short stuff and also clamp extenders when needed.
mike
A few years ago you could buy 10' chunks of pipe and Home Depot would cut and thread as you wanted, free.  That, was considerably cheaper than buying the pre-cut/threaded sticks.   The Ridgid threaders disappeared  long ago.  

I wound up with several pieces each of 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 foot lengths of 3/4".   I use couplings from the "electrical" conduit area because they aren't tapered but straight threaded and easier to use.

(01-14-2020, 06:59 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: A few years ago you could buy 10' chunks of pipe and Home Depot would cut and thread as you wanted, free.  That, was considerably cheaper than buying the pre-cut/threaded sticks.   The Ridgid threaders disappeared  long ago.  

I wound up with several pieces each of 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 foot lengths of 3/4".   I use couplings from the "electrical" conduit area because they aren't tapered but straight threaded and easier to use.

Around here both HD and Lowes have the threaders, just no one competent enough to C&T without leaving buggered threads and/or wild "thorns" of millings attached...
(01-13-2020, 07:37 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: Isn't it every woodworker's saga of not having clamps for the current project. I was going to do a dry fit yesterday and realized the basement wasn't tall enough so I would nave to assemble it laying down. Then I grabbed my bar clamps and realized they were about 3" too short. I had bought 10" pipes and had them cut in half and threaded knowing I could always union and and another section of pipe to extend them. What I needed would have been right at the union. So off to Lowes and got some 6' pipe. It is always something.

I just take two clamps and make one big one.

[Image: wZmIUeM.jpg]
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
Clamps not long enough saga