I don't do a lot of urns but, I will do them for family and close friends.  These are smaller for when ashes will be shared among family members.  This set is for a mother/daughter for their late son/brother. Dyed mahogany tops, black walnut bodies. Oil varnish blend finish.

[attachment=23005]
I start with thicker stock and make the finger-jointed box.
[attachment=23006]
I 'carve' the mahogany top with a palm router and a cove bit.
[attachment=23007]
I cut to size, add rabbets to lock the top into the sides and dye the top.  I'm shooting for a look that implies motion.
[attachment=23008]
I tilt the bandsaw table and knock the corners off.
[attachment=23009]
Follow up with rasps to get the form I'm after.
[attachment=23010]
And you end up here.
[attachment=23011]
You can see the oil/varnish blend in the mason jar in the background.  I add a bit of dye to it to help the black walnut stay dark over time since these are for display.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Very nice, like the grain pattern, and the wavy top
Very nice!  Love the shape and the top.

Since the top is fixed in place, I presume the bottom is the opening for putting the ashes in, yes?  How are you attaching those?

I made my first urn last Spring for a dear friend.  I struggled with the closing, but finally settled on a doweled top that was glued in place at mortuary.  Couldn't think of another way to do it.
Was the wavy top done freehand? Nice, BTW.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(01-17-2020, 01:32 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Was the wavy top done freehand? Nice, BTW.

Sorry for the late reply Fred.  The blank is double-stik-taped to a carrier board.  I start at one edge and move forward and back in a random, but, pretty linear path.  It takes a couple test runs but, you will get a feel for how much to control the router.  I move it front to back, stepping over a 1/2" or so side to side to create the pattern.  I also found that using a 3/4" cove for a first complete pass over the material followed by a similar pass with a 1/4" cove gave me an even more random pattern.  It's one of those things where you kind of know when you've got enough.  Not real tricky although I have definitely trashed a few by doing a little too much.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(01-17-2020, 01:25 PM)WxMan Wrote: Very nice!  Love the shape and the top.

Since the top is fixed in place, I presume the bottom is the opening for putting the ashes in, yes?  How are you attaching those?

I made my first urn last Spring for a dear friend.  I struggled with the closing, but finally settled on a doweled top that was glued in place at mortuary.  Couldn't think of another way to do it.

Correct, they close from the bottom.  When others will do the closing, I supply some nice brass screws.  I drill and countersink the screw positions.  I run a bead of silicone around the bottom recess, cover this with waxed paper and set the cover in place.  24 hours later I remove the cover and the wax paper.  The creates a form-fitting gasket for the recipient when they screw the bottom in place.  When I have closed them I glue and sometimes screw the bottom in place.

GeeDub, you certainly are a welcomed new addition to the forum!  Thank you for the different projects you are sharing.

I 'carve' the mahogany top with a palm router and a cove bit.  Now that is something I will have to try!  The urns really are impressive.

Keep the pictures coming on the wall cabinet build.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Keepsake Urns