Just wondering if there is a disadvantage for such a large creature in a woodworking shop.

I might have a line on a 20" Shop Fox (Made in China like most all other Asian 20" Drill Presses today), never used.  It looks like it has been mostly assembled and some surface rust on the foot and table, but easily cleaned.

I currently have a 17" Shop Fox and have no complaints other than the flimsy gear on the side of the column that the table rides up and down needs to be replaced.

I have a 20"  Grizzly, the size is nice, but the machine ain't.

The spindle drive pulley is a taper fit?? with a huge plastic locknut. It will slip if to much force is applied.

I prefer my Delta radial ram drill for most of my work, easier to move the drill to the hole than the workpiece.

The Grizzly will eventually be replaced by a 20" WT or Delta.

Ed
(01-26-2020, 04:08 PM)Rich_Dixon Wrote: Just wondering if there is a disadvantage for such a large creature in a woodworking shop.

I might have a line on a 20" Shop Fox (Made in China like most all other Asian 20" Drill Presses today), never used.  It looks like it has been mostly assembled and some surface rust on the foot and table, but easily cleaned.

I currently have a 17" Shop Fox and have no complaints other than the flimsy gear on the side of the column that the table rides up and down needs to be replaced.

I have a 20" Powermatic 1200 and a 15" Powermatic 1150.  The smaller drill press has a higher speed range necessary for wood.  The larger drill press has a slower range and twice the HP for metal.  The 20" will drill a 1-1/2" hole in steel.

I am not familiar with the Asian models but is the distance to the center column the only difference?
Most of the larger presses are much more heavy duty, designed for metal working. The question you have to ask yourself is do you forsee ever having to drill that far into a board or object? You already have a 17" , a 20 wont buy you much more capacity, but will take up a bit more space and be heavier to move around.

Bigger is not always better. A while ago I was in that mode and moved from a 10" unisaw to a Delta 12/14. It had plenty more table space and a larger blade, but I never had a use for the capacity. I eventually sold it to recover the room it took up. Live and learn.
Thanks for the insight.

Regarding the old iron, I regret not buying an old Delta way back when I had the chance. I think it was about $250 and in pristine condition.

I guess I'll pass on the big Chinese DP and keep on keeping with what I've got.

I have seen some old iron PM and others around, mostly 3PH power and much larger than what I'm looking for running about $1k.
Price sells,if its at good price buy it and sell your 17". But if you do buy it use it for few days just to make sure all is good. I would think that the table is little bigger and maybe little more HD
I finally had to go measure. I guess I do have a 20" delta (older) drill press. Could I live with a smaller one, definitely, but I do appreciate the large table. It became available and I previously had a table model. I gave $250.00 about 20 years ago and it had a 3 phase motor. I do think the quality goes up with the size.
It seems that the bigger ones are, as several have noted, much beefier as well.  For most, that may be needed more for metal work than wood, but large bits do take power.

The other option is the radial drill, which allows drilling far from an edge at a price generally significantly lower than the same distance would be with a standard drillpress.  These might be well suited to woodworking except for one thing.  A drillpress is used in woodworking when placement and angle of a hole is critical.  I don't know what steps are needed to align a radial press when the head is moved, which would of course matter.

EdL, since you use a radial press regularly, would you care to comment on its use?  Or anyone else?  If there were precise detents to rapidly return it to a standard position as with a miter saw, wouldn't this be a good option for woodworking?
I also have a 20" Griz its good for drill hole but that's about it. But your question is there an advantage I would say there is just due to the size,you have more of a depth to the column,drill chuck is bigger.But if quality is not there then be like me,it just drill hole. I had a chance to buy a PM 1200 with the VS setup regret it.Being able to change speeds is so easy on PM1200 but on Griz its terrible with all cheap pulleys. Keep in mind that for us hobby guys most of our machines will be with us for a life time. Go more for quality when funds allow vs whats available at moment.I have made lot mistakes my opinion is from experience
Sad
The large range of motion is where the radial drill shines. One lock knob for swing, one for in/out. Quick and easy. Elevation has a crank.

You can align your workpiece to the drill or clamp the work and move the drill to it (nice for multiple holes).

As for a "home" position, I'll align it with the center of the table insert. Usually it's pushed back all the way.

Ed
Who has a 20" drill press?