I have a Steel city unit and the gas assist tube is shot. Its nice but not absolutely needed but I'd like to replace it. Steel City is no more and I'm wondering if these are standard units. If so, are all similar units the same? If I bought a Powermatic or Grizzly would it work. The body (tube) is around 6" long but I'm not sure how they rate the strength. 

Has anyone had a similar situation and what was your solution? Can I stop at an auto supply and pick one up and have it work?

Thanks
Mark

I replaced the gas strut on my Jet mortiser.  Like you said they may not be necessary, but sure make a huge difference.  I was able to find the part number then just did a Google search and found a knock off.  If you cannot find the part no., you might be able to search gas struts and look for your dimensions.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I replaced one on a grizzly floor standing unit. I googled the model number and just ordered a replacement the correct size. The new one bolted on just fine and worked great. It was probably around $20. I did not order from grizzly.
So, you just order by length? I don't see a model number or anything on the busted one. 

Mark

(02-22-2020, 05:44 PM)sawnuts Wrote: So, you just order by length? I don't see a model number or anything on the busted one. 

Mark

The challenge with those gas struts is they are different lengths overall, as well as travel lengths and then they are rated for a weight.

Get one to long or short and lose travel,
Get one that’s not the correct length of travel and you lose travel,
Get one rated for to much weight and it’s hard to push down and jumps back up,
To light and it doesn’t help much. 

Hopefully someone can either get you the part number from theirs, or possibly get dimensions of one from another maker of ‘same’ unit and get that part number.

Or there may be a source somewhere online that has owner’s manual with parts list 

Duke

(02-22-2020, 05:50 PM)JDuke Wrote: The challenge with those gas struts is they are different lengths overall, as well as travel lengths and then they are rated for a weight.

Get one to long or short and lose travel,
Get one that’s not the correct length of travel and you lose travel,
Get one rated for to much weight and it’s hard to push down and jumps back up,
To light and it doesn’t help much. 

Hopefully someone can either get you the part number from theirs, or possibly get dimensions of one from another maker of ‘same’ unit and get that part number.

Or there may be a source somewhere online that has owner’s manual with parts list 

Duke
I think you summed up my quandary. I'd rather do it once than experiment. I won't purchase until I believe I have found the correct part.
Mark, if you have Steel City 25200, the parts list page 31, item #75 OR71584 Stabilizer Cylinder Assembly.
That information might help you find a similar strut.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

(02-22-2020, 06:15 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Mark, if you have Steel City 25200, the parts list page 31, item #75 OR71584 Stabilizer Cylinder Assembly.
That information might help you find a similar strut.

I have that part number but I assume that is a Steel City part #. I heard they are no longer in business so dead end.
(02-22-2020, 03:28 PM)sawnuts Wrote: Have you tried ereplacementparts.com?  IIRC that's where I got one for my Delta.
Larry KQ6PJ

I did find one there for $35 plus shipping. No thanks. I'll do without at that price. I'm sure these are over the counter items and nothing special. I just need to find the correct part/length/strength.
Chisel Mortiser Gas tube replacement