My niece is getting married at the end of March, the entry hall table she asked for is completed, and in a couple of days it will head off to Sydney. 

This is the model for the table she wanted me to build, but to build it in Jarrah ...

[Image: Jes-Entry-Table.jpg]

I needed to make a few modifications. The most notable were, firstly, that there are three drawers, where the model has two. With a little research, it became evident that the model was a "flat pack" build from a store in the UK, and it used slides and poppers for the drawers. Without slides, wide drawers will rack since the depth-to-width ratio is all wrong. Three drawers change this ratio and make it workable. 

Secondly, building a drawer to ride wood-on-wood, one cannot use poppers - and so drawer handles are necessary. My niece was keen that drawer handles would not be seen, and I have done my best to make them unobtrusive.

Together with the desire to avoid drawer handles, there was also the request to make the drawers appear to be a single piece, rather than drawers separated by drawer dividers. The fact is, we had to have drawer dividers. So, to hide them, drawer fronts were given lips, with a lip covering half the width of a divider. In this way, the dividers could double as drawer stops. Making lipped, half-blind dovetails was a first for me. In the end, they were not too bad.

The case of the original table is mitred, and this is likely butt jointed and supported with either dowels, biscuits or dominos. My choice was to use mitred through dovetails, both for their strength and also for aesthetics. Although I have done a number of similar cases in recent years, this joint is one where you hold your breath until it all comes together. Then you wonder what the fuss was about
Smile

A fifth change was the attachment of the legs. The model likely used a metal screw per leg, which was common with Mid Century furniture. I wanted something stronger and durable so, in place of this, my decision was to stake the legs into a thicker base, which was firmly attached to the underside of the case with tapered, stopped sliding dovetails. A bit more work, but I will sleep better at night.

At the end of the day, it resembles a box, and only a woodworker will recognise that it is a very complex box.
Smile

Okay, here it is. It is photographed in my entrance hall  ....

[Image: 1a.jpg]

The wood is fiddleback (curly) Jarrah.

[Image: 2-1a.jpg]

[Image: 3a.jpg]

A close up the waterfall on one side ...

[Image: 4a.jpg]

... and on the other ...

[Image: 5a.jpg]

The obligatory dovetail shot ...

[Image: 6a.jpg]

Those drawers! The lipped drawer fronts are 20mm, with the drawer sides 1/4". The back is 15mm thick. The thin sides necessitated drawer slips. These were beaded to create a transition from slip to drawer bottom. The drawer bottoms are 1/4". The wood used here is Tasmanian Oak.

[Image: 7a.jpg]

[Image: 8a.jpg]

[Image: 9a.jpg]

[Image: 10a.jpg]
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

Since the case and internals are build from hard Jarrah, the underside of the slips was given a Jarrah slide to improve ware properties.

[Image: 12a.jpg]

As mentioned earlier, the aim was to present a single board at the front ...

[Image: 15a.jpg]

Here may be seen how the lips share the drawer divider and use it as a drawer stop. The spacers at the side of the case are half the width of the dividers as they do not share two drawers.

[Image: 17a.jpg]

[Image: 18a.jpg]

Now those drawer handles ...

I tried to keep the design as simple as possible, and used the same wood as the drawer fronts so they would blend in. The upper drawer shows the finger grip on underside of the handle ...

[Image: 19a.jpg]

Drawer extension is good - about 80-85 percent ...

[Image: 21a.jpg]

The internal bevels around the case ...

[Image: 22a.jpg]

... maintained a straight edge to the drawer line. Plus the gap between the drawers (about 0.5mm) ...

[Image: 24a.jpg]

Near-to-last, the case back: this is made from the same Jarrah - one never knows if the piece will end up against a wall or out in the open.

[Image: 13a.jpg]

Someone will ask if the brass screws were clocked ... of course they were!
Smile

And a final photo to provide some scale. This is taken with a chair I built a few years ago ...

[Image: 25a.jpg]

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

Very impressive build, Derek. Well done!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
A couple of extras ...

[Image: 26.jpg]

[Image: 27.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Swell job Derek. Thank you for showing the work about.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Fantastic, Derek! That really looks beautiful, and the care, experience, and time that went into it are amazing.

Thanks for adding to that time with your photos and write-up. Much appreciated!
Fella, ya done real good thar!!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to include us on a wonderful journey.  I'm sure the niece will treasure it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
WOW!!! Beautiful! Jarrah sure oils up to a nice dark tone - according to the pics. Oil/poly/wax mix?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Hi Curt

Hard wax oil. It is tough and waterproof, and does not sit on the surface like poly.

Regards from Perth

Derek
First class work as always Derek.  Doubtless it will be treasured by the recipients
for many years to come.

Had to chuckle when you threw in  "a chair I built a few years ago ..."    
If anyone reading this has not seen the build of that chair and want
further evidence of Dereks' master class skill, it was another fine
example.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Entry hall table for a niece: final photos