i Have  a Delta 22-560 planer,  While  planing down rough sawn, the cutter head and rollers suddenly stopped,  Took panel off expecting to see broken belt drive.  Well mine is a dual chain drive and chains are intact.  After restarting. the f\gears turning chain are not turning.  So, question is has anyone ever had this problem?  I cant figure how to expose the motor to visualize the primary drive wheel.. Any suggestion or advice?  Thanks so much.(Of course, I am in the middle of a project.)

I had an earlier version of that machine, and the main drive gear sheared its key pin (which was hollow, go figure) and I ground down a bolt to the right diameter and fixed it after much fussing and bad language. Not much help to you but maybe they still used the same design.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(03-19-2020, 05:00 PM)Admiral Wrote: I had an earlier version of that machine, and the main drive gear sheared its key pin (which was hollow, go figure) and I ground down a bolt to the right diameter and fixed it after much fussing and bad language.  Not much help to you but maybe they still used the same design.

Rich

Could it have been a safety design??  I know in some metal working machines they do that in the machine shop.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(03-20-2020, 10:09 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Rich

Could it have been a safety design??  I know in some metal working machines they do that in the machine shop.

Might have been, hard to tell, but it worked fine with a solid key.  I eventually sold it and got a big iron 15" floor model planer.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a 22-565.  Think it's the same design; only difference is length of infeed/outfeed tables.  Bought new in 2002.

My planer acted like this twice, although it hasn't happened in the last 8-10 years.  Motor still going, but no movement of feed rollers.  I pulled the side cover to look at the sprockets and chain.  One of the sprockets had come loose and the feed mechanisms stopped.

I just put the sprocket back on the shaft and made sure the key was in place.  Hasn't happened since.

Make sure there's a key in each sprocket/shaft coupling.  It has been many years since that happened; IIRC, you shouldn't have to open it up all the way to reveal the motor.
Thanks guys.  Big help
PLANER STOPPED CUTTING IN MIDDLE OF PROJECT.