Removing the waste between pins on half-blind dovetails has always been one of my least favorite things. So, with some time on my hands, I made a kerfing chisel to perhaps make the chore less annoying. Thank you Derek Cohen for the concept.
No, I have not tried it out yet. The modeling trowel that Derek used looks to be more robust than the one I used. We'll see how it works. And the copper cap I put on the end of the handle is overkill, I'll never hit it hard enough to need it. Handle is American Beech.

[Image: D-Cohen-Kerfing-Chisel-1.jpg]

[Image: D-Cohen-Kerfing-Chisel-2.jpg]
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223

Very nice. How did you make the chisel portion?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site

(03-22-2020, 02:16 PM)Aram Wrote: Very nice. How did you make the chisel portion?

Aram,
I bought a "Stainless Steel Spatula and Trowel Tool" on the Sculpture House web site. $12 bucks. Cut it in two. The pointy blade is offset, the flat ended blade is straight. The spatula is tapered and gets pretty thin at the end. I removed a lot of it to get to the thicker part. I didn't search very hard and bought the first one I found.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016

(03-22-2020, 02:39 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: Aram,
I bought a "Stainless Steel Spatula and Trowel Tool" on the Sculpture House web site.  $12 bucks.  Cut it in two.  The pointy blade is offset, the flat ended blade is straight.  The spatula is tapered and gets pretty thin at the end.  I removed a lot of it to get to the thicker part.  I didn't search very hard and bought the first one I found.

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
It looks nicely made, Mike. Should work well.

Remember to use a clamp across the board.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

(03-22-2020, 07:11 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: It looks nicely made, Mike. Should work well.

Remember to use a clamp across the board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, can you reference your article on this, as well the the clamp reference?

Thanks!

T.Z.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Hi Tony

Article:   http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...hisel.html

Look at the 4:45 mark ...

Look from the 13:45 mark ...

I hope you are all staying safe and well.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

(03-23-2020, 05:38 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Tony

Article:   http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...hisel.html

Look at the 4:45 mark ...

Look from the 13:45 mark ...

I hope you are all staying safe and well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek!

Much appreciated and I hope you and your family are doing the same. Coming days will have emotions reaching the boiling point, and because of your background, you know better than most, the effect on younger members of our families, that this virus can have.

Tony
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I never heard of a kerfing chisel.  Why is it a normal chisel can not work??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(03-23-2020, 03:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I never heard of a kerfing chisel.  Why is it a normal chisel can not work??

Arlin, watch Derek Cohen's videos posted above. The kerfing chisel is MUCH thinner than a normal chisel. And, it does not have a bevel or a sharp leading edge - instead the tip is filed straight across, top to bottom and right to left. It crushes the wood fibers rather than splitting them. Of course in many woods it would indeed split the piece, so a clamp is placed on the tail board to keep it from splitting.
Derek's videos will make it more clear than I have.
Mike B.

Kerfing Chisel