Howdy All-

With so much more WFH, I've actually had much more all time do woodworking than I have had over the last 6+ years combined (three kids 6 and under and a consulting job).  Was running a board through my Yorkcraft 8" jointer, and the knob which grabs the spindle and moves the fence cracked in my hand.  It's plastic and at this point is probably 15 years old, 13 of which have been in a Texas garage or a storage facility while deployed.

So I can turn the spindle with a wrench, but I need a new solution for a knob.  Anyone have a good one?  I could go through Wilke and see what they have left from their Yorkcraft line, but figured I'd stop in here first. 

Below is a picture of the spindle.  There's a cutout where the inside of the knob had a piece of plastic which kept the knob from spinning. 

Thanks everyone, hope everyone is safe and health,
Steve

Fella, its been a long time since you showed your face around here!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get a better solution or offer, I can turn a knob for you.  Better yet, you show up at my place and I will let you turn it.  Man it is good to know you are still in the area.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
As far as Wilkie, I don't believe they remain in business. If you find out otherwise, please post.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Mine has been removed and in a drawer for decades for clearance reasons.
WoodNET... the new safespace
What are the length and diameter of that shaft?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Calipers say that the visible piece of the shaft is 0.74" in diameter and 1.44" long.   A knob with an inset screw that could tighten against the that small cutout would probably allow me to turn the shaft.

Sad news on Wilke - they still have a website, so I might drop them a note anyway.

Bill - definitely still around, just my woodworking time has sadly diminished!!  I do stop in here every once in a while for my sanity, but my career has started to get pretty busy with lots of international travel (well when we could travel!!), and we now have three little ones who daily gather around the giant, mesquite pedestal table you helped me build years ago.  The two oldest are girls, so the table now has some nice nail polish character to it.  My wife was afraid I would be upset at the gorgeous table having evidence of nail polish - I love it.  Hope it stays there forever.    We will definitely need to get together once all this craziness subsides. 

Thanks all,
Steve
Just as a follow up and maybe to help someone in the future, I found a knob from McMaster that I think will work.  Aluminum, should be able to tap some threads for a set screw.  Had no idea the variety of knobs/handles McMaster carried. Great stuff.  

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Thanks all!
Steve
Another huge source for knobs, fasteners, etc., is Reid Supply.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-19-2020, 04:53 PM)SFlagg Wrote: Howdy All-

With so much more WFH, I've actually had much more all time do woodworking than I have had over the last 6+ years combined (three kids 6 and under and a consulting job).  Was running a board through my Yorkcraft 8" jointer, and the knob which grabs the spindle and moves the fence cracked in my hand.  It's plastic and at this point is probably 15 years old, 13 of which have been in a Texas garage or a storage facility while deployed.

So I can turn the spindle with a wrench, but I need a new solution for a knob.  Anyone have a good one?  I could go through Wilke and see what they have left from their Yorkcraft line, but figured I'd stop in here first. 

Below is a picture of the spindle.  There's a cutout where the inside of the knob had a piece of plastic which kept the knob from spinning. 

Thanks everyone, hope everyone is safe and health,
Steve

Had the same issue with my Yorkcraft jointer and wanted to fix it so I could sell it. I ended up buying an iron handwheel/knob from McMaster I think. Let me look back through my order history to see if I can find it. I think I may have had to drill and tap a hole in the knob for a set screw to catch the flat spot on the spindle.

(04-28-2020, 08:23 AM)MyKidsDad Wrote: Had the same issue with my Yorkcraft jointer and wanted to fix it so I could sell it. I ended up buying an iron handwheel/knob from McMaster I think. Let me look back through my order history to see if I can find it. I think I may have had to drill and tap a hole in the knob for a set screw to catch the flat spot on the spindle.

Just saw your later post about finding one through McMaster. Here's the one that I ordered and it worked great. I did have to drill and tap a hole for a set screw.

https://www.mcmaster.com/6042k55
Jointer Fence Knob Replacement