I’m going to do a segmented piece with ebony accents (base and rim), and would like 1/32” black between each piece and each row. Curious what others have used (ebony vs. something dyed black) and any recommended suppliers.

Thanks,
John

(05-02-2020, 08:34 AM)jcredding Wrote: I’m going to do a segmented piece with ebony accents (base and rim), and would like 1/32” black between each piece and each row.  Curious what others have used (ebony vs. something dyed black) and any recommended suppliers.

Walnut, with the end grain toward the surface should fill the bill, and is available most anywhere.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
B&B Rare Woods

That's where I buy most of my veneer, dyed or natural.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I go to Menards and use this and dye it.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windo...-12188.htm
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(05-02-2020, 10:43 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I go to Menards and use this and dye it.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windo...-12188.htm

The wood alone is more expensive than the already dyed sheets.
Cellulose runs through my veins!

(05-02-2020, 04:37 PM)SteveS Wrote: The wood alone is more expensive than the already dyed sheets.

Steve

I do not know why it does not show it, but the package has 3 of them.  There is a 1/32 one also but it did not show it either and it is a pack of 4 for about the same price..

All I do is put them in a 73qt stock pan and let them soak in the ink or dye for 5 minutes and dry them off and let them set for a few days with a weight on the whole surface.

I do a complete different job on the roses I make.  I use Aldine dye for those.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

John & Steve

OK I finally found the piece I was talking about with the sticker still on it.

Called

Birch Ply
"Nominal"
1/32" x 12" x 24"
Made in USA
Of Global Materials

They also have 1/8" and 1/16"

Last I use both the 1/32" and 1/16" to burn grooves instead of wire (I typed wife so thought I better change it 
Laugh
Laugh ).  So much easier and safer to.  I have not tried 1/8" since it seems to wide to burn a groove with but maybe someday if it may look good I will give it a try.

I have used a 2x6 pine board to burn the top of a few boxes before and it sure woods good doing that. 
Yes

Thanks Arlin. I ended up buying some from B&B Rare Woods for the next project. It was pretty cost effective and they were very helpful.

Thanks for the referral, Steve.
Black Veneer