Cleaning up some land and pulled out a really large paulownia tree that had blown down. Didn't know what it was at the time but when I started to saw it up I was shocked to see red shavings come off the chainsaw.

Unfortunately the spalting is only along the edge but it very unusual.  I have not turned anything other than some handles in years. Trying to figure out if I want to save this wood or just add it to the fire.

[Image: RvPwqJr][Image: RvPwqJrl.jpg]
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

To me there would be no question about it.  it would be cut up into bowl, platter, or vase blanks.  I do not get enough wood as it is and I would use all of it and the red would make some nice accent pieces.

I really hope to see what you make out of it. 
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That is boxelder with wind shake damage causing the red
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(05-08-2020, 08:38 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: That is boxelder with wind shake damage causing the red

No, it is paulownia. I know that for sure.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

(05-09-2020, 07:44 AM)Kudzu Wrote: No, it is paulownia. I know that for sure.

Might be that it shares reaction to the same fungus which produces the red in boxelder.  If so, has a tendency to fade over time with light.

https://www.wood-database.com/paulownia/ Lightweight coarse

https://www.wood-database.com/box-elder/ Heavier, fine
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
leaves and bark..............................

Dry Creek Woodturning

That is a wood I have neve heard of. I have a small amount of box elder that looks exactly like that. From the links posted it should turn nicely. The box elder does. Looking forward to see what you make of it. If you don't want to do it yourself there might be someone here who is close to you that might be willing to take it off your hands. Would be a shame to just burn it

(05-09-2020, 11:33 AM)Turner52 Wrote: That is a wood I have neve heard of. I have a small amount of box elder that looks exactly like that. From the links posted it should turn nicely. The box elder does. 

However, if you examine the photo posted you see a strongly ring porous wood, which favors his ID.  Further, unless that's the dullest chain in the world, it's chewed the surface of the cut, which does not happen with sound boxelder, but will with true poplars, willow, and other stringy grain types. 

Where we have boxelder, the wood is as described in the URL referenced - diffuse-porous and short grained.  I agree, it turns delightfully, just like other soft maples.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Paulowania will have a large empty pith

Dry Creek Woodturning

I did not doubt his type of wood I only stated it looks like some box elder i have. I probably should have stated that I meant as to coloring
Paulowania wood