I kept my older dewalt planer when I upgraded to a larger floor model. I got some free but painted red wood I wanted to use. If I don’t care about the knives is it ok to run them through the planer? Or will it damage the planer itself.

Planing painted wood can present challenges depending on the paint itself and how long it has been cured... some paint will be soft and doesn't cut as clean. The other factor is depth of cut, you want to chop into the paint surface to create paint/wood chips. Light, passing cuts can cause friction, heating the paint up and causing a goopy mess on you cutterhead, etc.

I'm not sure if that answers your question but IMO it can be done without really damaging anything if set-up correctly.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
As said, cuts deep enough to get under the paint is best.  It still dulls the knives but I have never noticed any damage to the machine itself.  But make sure you're not dealing with lead paint.  

John
I have planed painted cedar salvaged from a porch on a Delta 12.5 in planer. Other than being very hard on knives, no problem.
I would hand plane off most of the paint before I ran it thru the DeWalt planer.
(05-15-2020, 04:01 PM)jussi Wrote: I kept my older dewalt planer when I upgraded to a larger floor model.  I got some free but painted red wood I wanted to use.  If  I don’t care about the knives is it ok to run them through the planer?  Or will it damage the planer itself.

I've done it, jointed too. Probably shouldn't admit that in public, but there you go. As others have said, nothing will ruin a knife like paint but I didn't notice any long term damage to any of my tools.
Great advice guys. Thanks. The knives are kind of dull already so I don’t care about them. Just didn’t want to damage the planer itself. What depth should I start with? 1/16 deep enough or deeper?

If there wasn’t so much bf I would scrape or hand plane but the amount would make it ridiculous for me.
No a problem. Plane it. 1/16" will be fine
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-16-2020, 08:06 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: No a problem. Plane it. 1/16" will be fine

Even 1/16 may be more than you need, depending.  Lumps and bumps of paint can vary the net thickness of the stock.  Measure the thickness of several pieces to be sure that the thickness is consistent.  The painted surface isn't so much the problem as the painted edges are.  The edges are a solid line of paint that can leave a slight track in softer planer knives.  Ten feet of cut will probably be no big deal.  100 feet of cut will likely produce a noticeable dullness more so than 100 feet of regular wood.
Planing painted wood