So years ago,I bought this 3/4 bowl gouge from Hamlet. (Not sure what vendor)

I haven’t used it much since I normally use a smaller gouge and I had trouble sharpening it. My freehand sharpening needs work and it wouldn’t fit in my wolverine.

The other day I decided to change the grind on it since I got a trucut jig that fit it.  I kept having one of the edges crumble as I sharpened.  Then I noticed this discoloration in the flute.  Sent a couple pictures to Hamlet and they quickly said it was a defect in the metal and replaced it at no cost and I received it in about a week from the UK.  Great customer service

They don’t want the defective one back.  What should I do with it?  So should I try grinding it past the defect?  it’s just a lot of metal. Any suggestions?  It’s HSS I doubt I can cut it? 

I'd try grinding it past the defect, but I'd be careful about making things worse from a heat treat perspective. Cool the gouge frequently in water as you progress. If the gouge continues to crumble while doing this, scrap the whole gouge. Crumbling along the entire length means the entire tool was heat treated incorrectly.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Try an abrasive cut-off wheel to cut back past the defect then re-grind the profile. If it still crumbles, then it’s toast. You can try re-heat treating but probably not worth the trouble.
If the defect is where I think that it is in the pic, you could try doing an asymmetric grind and pull the wing way back on that side just to see if you can get to good metal. As Ahill said, be careful not to overheat the steel while you do that.

Some people like asymmetric grinds and this would give you a chance to try one out if it works.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Me personally I would keep using it.  It is hard enough to get tools at the prices they sell them at and that would be a welcome addition or spare.

I have a few bowl gouges that are the same size and when one is dull I pick up the other and keep going.

Plus that is a size I would like to try or even the 1" to see how they handle on big out of round stuff.

So keep it and like I said use it as a spare.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Remember when I posted abut the gouge that split?

If it were me I’d toss it.
VH07V  

EightFingers

+1
(06-12-2020, 03:18 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Remember when I posted abut the gouge that split?

I do not remember that post and I would not use the tool either unless like someone said grind it past the defect.

You have a link to the post please??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(06-14-2020, 11:51 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do not remember that post and I would not use the tool either unless like someone said grind it past the defect.

You have a link to the post please??

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...pid7210783

Unfortunately, all of the pics have failed (even the emoji's).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I don’t think I have pics anymore either. I’ll look, but I have my doubts.
VH07V  
What would you do with this gouge?