Anybody have any experience with it? Building some flower box holders and would like to keep the natural Wt. oak look. I have not been real thrilled with some previous penetrating oil finishes on both oak and cedar. Used a penetrating oil on a table last year and it's peeling off.  Looking for some input on exterior finish.

Thanks
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget

No experience with Valspar exterior varnish, sorry.  

I'm really surprised by your comment that a penetrating oil finish peeled off.  They don't form a film so I can see how they could peel off unless you applied it over wood that had already been finished with something that sealed the grain so it couldn't soak in.  

Anyway, if you want a film finish, and are prepared to do the maintenance to keep it looking good, I recommend you consider an epoxy sealer first and then a marine varnish topcoat.  The one I've used is Epifanes but there are others, perhaps even the Valspar product you have.  Here's a link to an epoxy sealer with a good reputation:  
  Smith and Co.

John

(06-13-2020, 09:46 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm really surprised by your comment that a penetrating oil finish peeled off.  They don't form a film so I can see how they could peel off unless you applied it over wood that had already been finished with something that sealed the grain so it couldn't soak in.  

I was surprised as well. I left it natural for the gray patina. Wife wanted some color so I stained it. Legs look great bit the top peeled. 

Been doing a lot of reading/youtube research. The epoxy sealer seems to make the most sense to me.

Thanks for the input all.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
It's gonna be tough to do. There was a time when I would have suggested an untinted oil base paint, sadly I can no longer find any that will dry clear. So at the moment I'm varnishing a redwood glider (this is an older piece I cleaned up, it's never been finished) and I'm trying the McCloskey's Man'O'War Marine Spar Varnish on it. But the ones from the boating suppliers (like the Epifanes brand) are almost certainly more durable. Just remember any clear coat outdoors is going to need maintenance over time.....some more than others. I haven't used the Valspar product, and i couldn't figure out which one it was when I tried to look it up. They must have a slew of things that start with Valspar Clear
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Putting a film finish on an outdoor flower box is a bad idea. I would suggest using some of the newer composite deck boards as a white oak alternative if you want long lasting color and keep the nice white oak for an interior project or a garden tool tote you store inside.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Valspar Clear