Turned a segmented vase using curly maple and a couple patchwork rings using padauk. I got it to where I wanted, sanded to 600 grit.Yesterday I wiped it, blew it with the  air and used a tackcloth on it. Wiped on poly on the lathe but not running.  This afternoon I went out to look and the padauk bled over into the curly maple giving it a red tint. It is really to thin to cut down and start anew. I have it at 3/16 approx. 

Any suggestions on where to now or leave it alone and call it designer spec's. How do you avoid this. This is really the first light colored vessel I have done of any size.

That seems to be pretty common with Padauk and Maple. Too bad because they look great together. I've seen others post on ways to avoid/minimize the bleeding so I expect someone who knows a little more than me chime in soon.

Good luck! Post a picture when you get a chance.
As Frank said o so common but for me sharp tools and blowing out any dust from the paduak that may bleed over and then seal it starting with the either one.  One thing I have noticed yesterday while doing maple and Peruvian walnut which also did the same thing is I kept the same paper towel on the whole thing while the walnut was all over the rag so it make it bleed into the maple to.

The paper towel has a lot of stain from the walnut in it and I think the color in the towel imbedded it into the maple.  So I had to sand it back out again and do it again.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When having maple and African paduak and am using solvent based finishes like lacquer, I will wipe on Deft with a light coating and wipe off any bleed off. That much reduces color issues. After that I do light coats of lacquer to build up. It should also be noted that I sand to 600 grit to reduce the effect of color absorption into the fibers.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(06-21-2020, 12:59 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Turned a segmented vase using curly maple and a couple patchwork rings using padauk. I got it to where I wanted, sanded to 600 grit.Yesterday I wiped it, blew it with the  air and used a tackcloth on it. Wiped on poly on the lathe but not running.  This afternoon I went out to look and the padauk bled over into the curly maple giving it a red tint. It is really to thin to cut down and start anew. I have it at 3/16 approx. 

Any suggestions on where to now or leave it alone and call it designer spec's. How do you avoid this. This is really the first light colored vessel I have done of any size.

I try not to use padouk with maple, always a mess. You might try bloodwood next time. works for me

(06-23-2020, 10:37 AM)PVW Wrote: I try not to use padouk with maple, always a mess. You might try bloodwood next time. works for me

I avoid padouk like the plague.I do what PVD said,use bloodwood,much better result.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If it’s not too big, you could spit-coat with CA.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-21-2020, 12:59 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Turned a segmented vase using curly maple and a couple patchwork rings using padauk. I got it to where I wanted, sanded to 600 grit.Yesterday I wiped it, blew it with the  air and used a tackcloth on it. Wiped on poly on the lathe but not running.  This afternoon I went out to look and the padauk bled over into the curly maple giving it a red tint. It is really to thin to cut down and start anew. I have it at 3/16 approx. 

yeah padouk is famous for that. I use it in cutting boards but never have a light wood next to it and when stacking inventory I make sure it doesn't touch a light wood. If I were to need a red next to maple I would go with bloodwood
Two ways to solve the problem; one is to do a light wipe on coat of lacquer that pulls away the surface coloration and seals the surface for further wipe on or spray on coats. The second is to apply very fine coats of spray on so the color doesn't bleed from one micro droplet to the next. The first is my preferred option.

I don't recall trying a waterbourne poly with african paduak to see if the bleeding is as bad or not.

You also could try substitutions but all of them will be more expensive; Andaman paduak, bloodwood or bubinga are possibilities.

Here are a few turnings with AP and the last with bubinga
[attachment=31275]
[attachment=31276]
[attachment=31277]
[attachment=31278]
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Color bleeding over to lighter wood