I was told walnut.  This isn’t walnut.   I’m thinking cherry burl.   I wish he had left the log whole for me, he cut it up thinking it would be easier to move.  I guess since it was free I can't complain too much.  Yes this is a stealth gloat.
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-22-2020, 09:38 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I was told walnut.  This isn’t walnut:  I’m
Thinking cherry burl.  Yes this is a stealth gloat.  
Smile

Cherry yes, burl no.  Best guess is a tumor in reaction to some sort of infection.  It's uncontrolled growth, alright, but not from secondary budding.  Common enough around here, but if the branch or trunk is completely encircled, circulation beyond is too little, killing what's upflow,
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I agree with MM no burl.  I do not know how many trees around here that were damaged by a skid loader or anything with a bucket and the tree heals around it if given enough time.  That is what it looks like to me something damaged it at one time and it healed over.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Cherry bark, so it's cherry wood.....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Not a burl. Oh well. It will still have some interesting figure when it is turned. There is a bit more rot in the center than I wanted so I'm going to have to get creative. I forsee a lot of pen blanks coming out of the cutoffs.

(06-23-2020, 03:12 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Not a burl.  Oh well.  It will still have some interesting figure when it is turned.  There is a bit more rot in the center than I wanted so I'm going to have to get creative.   I forsee a lot of pen blanks coming out of the cutoffs.

They look great when there's enough solid wood to turn.  Just because it's not a burl for real doesn't mean it's no good.  I love turning them because they smell good and peel beautifully when still green, but don't distort as badly as grained wood does.  

Protect yourself if you're turning a fairly large piece, because they have a tendency to have hidden rot which needs reinforcement and cracks that can launch chunks if not firmed or glued.  I like to stuff cherry bark flakes in cracks with medium CA glue, though some extol the virtue of coffee grounds.  Bark seems more natural in appearance.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Yes. As MM says, be prepared. This first one broke while assembling.

[attachment=27848]

Rotten cherry

[attachment=27849]

cherry

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What Kind of Wood?