I was asked to refinish two teak memorial benches for a non profit I belong to.  These benches are about 20 years old, ugly grey, with some areas of lichen growing on it, but the wood is not split or damaged in any way. I was going to sand, starting with an 80 grit sandpaper then move to smoother grits.  Is there anything else I can do aside from adding an oil that has to be reapplied every few months?

Jay

(06-22-2020, 02:21 PM)cme4dk Wrote: I was asked to refinish two teak memorial benches for a non profit I belong to.  These benches are about 20 years old, ugly grey, with some areas of lichen growing on it, but the wood is not split or damaged in any way. I was going to sand, starting with an 80 grit sandpaper then move to smoother grits.  Is there anything else I can do aside from adding an oil that has to be reapplied every few months?

Jay

I would try 1 cup of TSP + 1 qt of bleach in a gallon of really hot water.  Let it cool to room temperature before using it.  Try a mini batch on the bottom to make sure it doesn't turn the teak some awful color.  This is what I use on my Ipe' deck to remove the build up and black mold that grows every winter.  I spray it on with a garden sprayer, keep it wet for 30 mintues, and then blast it off with a power washer.  Sometimes it takes two applications but it does get it clean and ready for oiling.  

If you find an oil that lasts a year please, please, please let me know.  I've tried 3 products and none work will on Ipe'.  The poplar stirring stick I used last year and kept outside all winter still looks great though!   

John
My wife and I recently used the "Star Bright" products on our teak table and chairs. We had not oiled this outdoor furniture in 14 years. I power washed using water only on the paint setting. This roughed up the surface some since sap wood is softer than heart wood. Anyway there is a three step process to clean, "brighten", then oil. It worked like a champ. I didn't sand to smooth the surfaces just applied the products as directed. Since the wood was REALLY DRY, the quart of oil just barely did 6 chairs and a table with extention leaf. I did not oil the bottom of the table on the first application since I was running short. I then ordered a gallon of Teak Oil, the second application used just under 2 quarts, and this time I did the bottom of the table. Anyway, I am pleased with the result, it almost looks new. My neighbor oils his teak table every year, and it usually lives on his covered front porch. When oiled regularly the color is a darker shade of brown. Hope this helps. You can probably use TSP, the diluted bleach, then oil and get a similar result. But personally I would use the store bought just for my own peace of mind.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Just a few weeks ago I cleaned up and refinished 2 teak rockers my wife had bought about 20+ years ago. They had always been outside and were in the condition you described. It wasn't possible to get all the discoloration off the wood. I did what I could, then put a clear coat on a small area to show my wife what they would look like. I also explained the alternative was to paint them. It looked so awful so had me use the paint. I used an oil based primer followed by an oil based exterior top coat. They did turn out great, but they don't look like teak.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Check the nautical supply houses.  Many boats have teak work and they get really beat up by sunlight and salt water.  There are many products on the market for this sort of work.  -Howard
There is a product called 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner you can buy by the gallon for usually under $10 at most hardware or homecenter stores. Mix it in a pail 50/50 with water and swab on with a brush and scrub away. Be careful, wear proper PPE, old clothes and have at it. Never use a pressure washer upon it. I would suggest not using any finish at all because it’s just going to create another problem. The wood will turn a beautiful gray naturally and the cleaning process can be repeated again in a year or two to clean off any mildew, algae or whatever.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Refinishing teak