Found this mallet/hammer in a box lot which was mainly jewelry making tools. Any ideas what it might be made from or used for? The outside of the head feels a little like bone. The faces of are fuzzy but hard/firm (could be old and not ready for use). Looks kind of like it was rolled up and then held in together with screws.

Answers don't have to be correct, unless they aren't entertaining.

[attachment=27886]
[attachment=27885]
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''

That be a Rawhide Mallet....head is made from a roll of Rawhide....screws to keep it rolled up.   Have a smaller version in my shop....can be used on chisels, or just knock a joint together...

maybe add  the letters R. Y. on the handle, somewhere.....for Rowdy Yates....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Or maybe "head 'em up, move 'em on"

Thanks
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
(06-24-2020, 10:26 PM)imapseudonym Wrote: Found this mallet/hammer in a box lot which was mainly jewelry making tools. Any ideas what it might be made from or used for? The outside of the head feels a little like bone. The faces of are fuzzy but hard/firm (could be old and not ready for use). Looks kind of like it was rolled up and then held in together with screws.

A common use is by leather workers to hit leather stamps so as not to damage their stamps.
ES
(06-24-2020, 10:26 PM)imapseudonym Wrote: Found this mallet/hammer in a box lot which was mainly jewelry making tools. Any ideas what it might be made from or used for? The outside of the head feels a little like bone. The faces of are fuzzy but hard/firm (could be old and not ready for use). Looks kind of like it was rolled up and then held in together with screws.

A common use is by leather workers to hit leather stamps so as not to damage their stamps.
ES
As others said: rawhide/leather mallet.

Mixed in with jewelry making tools, it could be used for applying force to engraving/carving tools, seating stones into a setting, or to seat the back on watches after repair.

For woodworking, they can be handy as an alternative for assembling joints (as long as you keep the faces clean) or for assisting with light chisel work.

I think that I got my first one from Shopsmith. I think that they originally started carrying them to help with preventive maintenance and with adding some persuasion for installing the adapters to the drive shafts of special purpose tools.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(06-25-2020, 05:47 PM)iclark Wrote: As others said: rawhide/leather mallet.

Mixed in with jewelry making tools, it could be used for applying force to engraving/carving tools, seating stones into a setting, or to seat the back on watches after repair.

For woodworking, they can be handy as an alternative for assembling joints (as long as you keep the faces clean) or for assisting with light chisel work.

I think that I got my first one from Shopsmith. I think that they originally started carrying them to help with preventive maintenance and with adding some persuasion for installing the adapters to the drive shafts of special purpose tools.

I have a few all rawhide mallets but Chicago Rawhide and other makers offered heavy duty mallets that were constructed of cast iron with rawhide inserts that could be replaced when worn out..They could deliver lots of "smack" with very little rebound...I have several in a couple different sizes. Years ago I used them in hydraulic repairs. They could also be purchased with lead inserts...Old tyme machinists kept a small lead hammer on their metal lathes for "centering" the stock in the chuck. I have one on my Ancient South Bend 9A lathe.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-26-2020, 09:53 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: I have a few all rawhide mallets but Chicago Rawhide and other makers offered heavy duty mallets that were constructed of cast iron with rawhide inserts that could be replaced when worn out...

Garland still makes them: Garland's insert face hammers.  I should note that Garland makes a whole range of hammerish items, including several different styles of soft-face mallets (and, yes, including rawhide).  I own a couple of Garland mallets, and the combination of weight (grunt) and soft face makes for a great tool.  On my list is new faces for my Garland hammers; I worry that old-style tools like these will stop being available.

(06-26-2020, 11:54 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Garland still makes them: Garland's insert face hammers.  I should note that Garland makes a whole range of hammerish items, including several different styles of soft-face mallets (and, yes, including rawhide).  I own a couple of Garland mallets, and the combination of weight (grunt) and soft face makes for a great tool.  On my list is new faces for my Garland hammers; I worry that old-style tools like these will stop being available.

Garland is the leading maker of those mallets IIRC...I could not recall their name ...
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-26-2020, 01:52 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..........................
Garland is the leading maker of those mallets IIRC...I could not recall their name ...
Crazy

I believe sheet metal workers still use these mallets.
BontzSawWorks.net
Mystery mallet